1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scraping edge/new plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Krieger91, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

This post might be a little long as I decided to take two topics and put them into one thread.

First thing: The bottom scraping edge on my plow is rusted a bit, and is pitted in places. Would you guys recommend torching that off and welding a new one on or what?

Second thing: As with the bottom edge, the entire blade is rusty here and there. There's rust on the blade, and some on the springs in the back. Is there anything I can do to fix that? Is it safe to use in this condition? Or would it be possible to get a new blade and attach it to the harness I have?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

rust

1st what kind of plow ,any pictures to judge,2ns most cutting edge's are bolted on ,3rd depend's how much rust +is it structural or not .

3. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I wish I could say. I don't know. The lower edge, I'm not sure if it was intended as a scraping edge, I'm pretty sure is welded on as I have found no bolts.

I don't know what kind of plow it is. It's not marked like the newer Boss and Western plows are. It's just an old, slightly rusted, yellow steel blade. That's all I know is that it's steel, it's a heavy sucker.

The plow has actually been taken off the truck as we work on getting the darn thing running again. The Flex plates and starter are shot on it. When I get it un-buried, I'll take pictures of both the plow and the truck and post them for y'all.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Old trip edge fisher??

Btw, a 6' plow on a 3/4ton? Does it even clear the tires when its straight?

5. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I didn't think about that...it's gotta be more than 6', I'm not sure though, I've never measured it. It about matches the wheelbase when it's straight.

When the plow is straight, the outside edges go just past the outside edge of the wheelbase.