1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scraping ability of ProTech at 1" trigger?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoJob67, Aug 10, 2002.

1. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I was wondering if there are concerns with the scraping ability using a ProTech when you are only plowing 1" of snow. If you leave 1/2" behind, you are only plowing half of what is on the lot. It would get salted away, but I just thought I would raise the topic for discussion.

Does anyone out there that uses pusher boxes have 1" triggers?Are you happy with the results when you only have 1" of snow to plow?

:help:

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Personally, I would use de-icer to melt 1" of snow. I can say last year the Pro Techs I had scraped very well, but they all had urethane edges on them. The sites had a 2" trigger, so de-icer was applied at the first flakes. What was left after plowing melted off. If not, it melted off with an additional application of salt.

Overall I would say the Pro Techs scraped well, be it 1" or 3". Much of the time they were pushing "mealy" snow and slush. We never allowed hardpack to form, so they were more of a squeegee than a scraper. If your pusher boxes are leaving 1/2" on the surface, than you need to adjust the edges on them.

~Chuck

3. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Chuck I understand where you are coming from, but all my accounts are per push. If I plow I beat the equipment up a bit more than necessary when I could just salt it away, but create almost twice the revenue when I can perform both services.

I may not get to salt if the temps are rising, but many times I find cold northwest air is what follows most of our storms in the midwest.

That being said, I appreciate your post. I don't have pusher number one yet, but I am going to be buying at least one this season unless something goes terribly wrong.

I know there are trip edge boxes available, but they are more costly from what I have heard. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't making a mistake by opting for a ProTech or Similar non trip edge because everything we do is 1" trigger for plowing.

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Is there no way you can sell them on seasonal contracts? Get them set up that way and you open the door to using more efficient equipment and methods and put the savings in your pocket.

5. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Alan-

I charge per push (not hourly), so adding efficient equipment puts the savings in my pocket. Nobody in my market is open to seasonal contracts. That is fine, I will catch a windfall when we get hit hard because they get charged for every push.

In the mean time, the lean winters are enough to get me through and make a decent profit. There is no sense in doing this, otherwise.

6. Pro-Tech

Pro-Tech Junior Member
    from NY

Rubber Adjustment

If you are leaving 1" of snow behind you definitely have to adjust your edge. A 1/4" below the shoes is perfect and should do a great job of getting down to the ground.