1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scrap metal headache rack

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by thewizard, Feb 18, 2010.

1. thewizard

thewizard Member

i bought me a whelen justice mini bar and i wasnt about to permenant mount it to my roof. i dont like the idear of drillin onto the roof at all. i decided i would mount it to a headache rack. i could have just bought one, its not about the money, i just take alot more pride in somthing i make rather than somthing i buy. plus i just like playin with metal.
    the design is simple, i wanted somewhere to mount my light bar, and mount it low, and i wanted to hang additional work lights on there cause plowin backward at night just sucks. i also decided that from a saftey stand point i would add another set of tail and brake lights to this bar. i somtimes pull trailers without working lights so i figured this would be a good idea. although i dont have my lights yet, they are surface mount stop/tail/turn 6" led units i found at a trailer store online. they should be here by monday or so.

like the title says, its scrap metal. heres 2 shots of what i was workin with. the blue stuff, it used to be a peice of exercise equipment i found while scrappin. those are the chunks i had left after cuttin my peices from it. they are double scrapp lol they were used in some other contraption i made a few years back.
    the 2nd pic is the material i made the top rail out of. this is a small section, i had a whole length of the stuff and it all looks just as crsty as that peice does.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    more pics on the next post

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  2. thewizard

thewizard Member

here it is startin to come together.
    [​IMG]
    heres part of mounting. i dont have pics of the front of the bed mount, but i will get some later
    [​IMG]

the mini justice has set scres that hold mounting plats in a channel. its a pretty nice setup. here you can see one of the magnets where it sat, and the rest removed. the holes the magnets screwed onto take regular old 1/4-20 bolts.
    [​IMG]
    i made the bar mount work with the factory whelen mount so i didnt have to molest it incase i want to sell it later. this way i can still put the magnets back on it if need be. my mount is simple, just 2 peice of flat stock drilled to match the bolt hols on the mini justice. i installed the flat stocks and then tacked the top bar on while on the light bar. do not weld the whole thing up on the light bar, you will destroy it.
    [​IMG]
    more pics ont he next post

3. thewizard

thewizard Member

here it is mocked up on the back of the truck. you can see the flat plates i added as gussets for the work light arms, as well as a spot where i will put the surface mount tail lights i got coming. notice how low i got my mini justice, thats tits.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a coat of primer. hopefully i will get it painted and completely mounted by monday, we supposedly got another storm comin!! i'll post more pics as i get it painted and wired up
    [​IMG]

4. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Very nice.

5. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Lookin good Wizard, I have to rebuild mine in the spring, Im not an Origonal fan of my original design....and i never painted it..

6. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

Looks very cool, definitely a different style but I like it.

7. thewizard

thewizard Member

ya, the style is kinda simple, i wasnt really worried bout protection for the window, more of just a light mount that got a little outta hand lol

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I really like the style of it.
    It looks different then all of the others you see.

9. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

how do you like the justice ? .... i was gonna get one of those but ended up getting a liberty with 2 modules in the middle ... ... my problem i like both bars ..... BTW like the headache rack design ..

10. thewizard

thewizard Member

thanks on the props on the rack. i really like the justice. it is retina burning bright, which is what i wanted. spose to have 95 flash patterns, thats good and bad, good cause i wont get bored, but it takes a while to find what you want and if you pass it by accident you gotta go all through them again to find it. i like that its low profile and almost looks like a satellite tracking device. this may come in handy when it comes time for inspection in jersey. i am supposed to possess a permit for the light. i dont know if i can get through inspection without it. im thinkin bout poppin off the lense when the time comes and covering the inside with a black cloth and puttin the cover back on. instant sattellite head. i would just remove it, but im planning on hard wiring it through the 3rd brake light and im also going to put a tack weld on each screw to prevent theft. if it has to come off later a little amount of grinding and it will be off. if it comes off it will be done in my shop anyway so im not worried bout not bein able to remove it.
    other than that, its deffinetly going to allow me to be seen. since it hurts your eyes, hopefully mall tarts wont get close to me with their beamers and lex's when im clearin the parkin lots

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  11. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

I like it. Though I wouldn't be too sure about the idiots staying back now.. They seem to be attracted to shiny objects so they may just try to get closer now.

12. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

yah ive never had issues with any of my whelen bars ....i use to run rotators then strobes and now LEDS.... ya you pay a lil more but you get reputation with that name also .... soo thats what sells me .

13. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Judging by the looks of the back of your cab, you need that back rack,LOL.

What are you going to mount on those steel plates on the top, or is that just for support?

14. thewizard

thewizard Member

ya, kinda hahaa the bed is mashed forwards from my grizzly slammin around back there and the big mark on the passenger side is from a wake boarding ramp we had in the back. the rest of it is from me thrown tons of scrap in the bed. been lucky, havent mashed out the windows yet lol.

here is whats goin on the plates, its a 6 inch led stop tail turn light. it measures 7-1/2" by 3-1/4" in total size. i wasnt crazy bout the chrome but i couldnt find it in black.
    [​IMG]

15. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

why not just cut holes in the plates and use grommet mounted leds?

16. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

It looks like that chrome surround just pops off it.

If so just get some sand paper and a can of black spray paint and you no longer have chrome.

Or you could go and buy some black duct tape and use that to change the color.

17. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

or instead of being a hick for like $5 you can buy the black shroud :rolleyes:

18. thewizard

thewizard Member

if i can find a black shroud i will get it, so far i havent had any luck. sanding and painting may be an option. i didnt get the grommet mouted kind because im really funny about wires. im so anal when it comes to wiring that i have rewired entire fourwheelin trucks because they looked all rat nesty and it drove me nuts. i just didnt want to see wires when i walked by and glanced at the back of this thing. an option would be to build boxes, but i didnt want a spot for water to get trapped in and rot. even with grommets it still finds a way in there.

19. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Oh, I thought they were boxed in. I couldn't tell from the pics.

20. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I had to get my justice as low as possible due to some accounts are parking garages and I onoly had a couple of inches of clearance. The mounting setup that comes with the justice makes it easy to get it as close to the back rack as possible. I will have to post some pics of my setup.