1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scout pic

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Dave Meyers, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

Here is my Scout II, the plow install is almost done. The plow is probably older than the Scout.

800 rc001.jpg

Cliffs 07002.jpg

2. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

nice tractor, looks clean!

3. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

.............................:confused:

4. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

Every now & then you hear, about International starting to build these again. That would be awsome!

5. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

Thanks, like most Scouts, it started to rust while still in the showroom. I replaced the floor boards, and rather than repair the horrible rust and bondo on the fenders, I just trimmed it all off to make room for the 33s, and did not install any additional suspension lift. Saved money by trimming, didn't spend money on fender repair or suspension. Still rides nice too. LIfted Scouts get kinds squirrely unless you put some resources into the front end.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

She's beautiful.

Want to sell? :D

7. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

No, this is my favorite Scout so far, I want to keep it a while. I've had three. This rides the best, and most important, the wife is okay with it. Once I painted it red it's good enough appearing to be on the driveway. She did not like my previous Olive Drab Green Scout, too military and "exhaust smelled bad". She also likes the removable top on this one, and even drives it occasionally with the top off. There are always Scouts for sale on ebay. If you don't want to spend a fortune you have to be ready to do some sheet metal work. I paid $1500 and the previous owner threw in all the repair sheet metal from a Scout Vender and a MIG welder (needed minor repair). I used the MIG to burn in the sheet metal he provided, and then undercoated the heck out of it, with roofing tar and undercoating so I don't have to do it again. I am only going to plow my own driveway, then pull back into the garage. I live in the salt belt and don't drive it on the streets in the winter.

8. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

Scouts were built by International Harvester, his calling them tractors, or binders.

9. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

Definately the way to go. It has a damn good looking stance like that. Plus its nice to keep that center of gravity low.

10. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

VERY NICE SCOUT :salute:I USED TO HAVE ONE OF THEM WHEN I WAS 19 I LOVED IT HAD A 390 4BBL AND A MEYERS LEVER CONTROL 7 FT POWER ANGLE ROT GOT HER THO AND MY OFFROADING :drinkup:

11. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

That motor must have been transplanted from a larger IH vehicle. Probably actually a 392. It must have been a torque monster. That, and the 304 and 345s have loads of torque at very low rpm. Makes for good off roading.

12. Snowman16

Snowman16 Member

Sweet looking rig, I saw one last night for the first time out plowing. It had a meyer on it too.

13. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

my first plow truck was 69 SCOUT with a 2 way fisher

14. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

I like the first generation Scouts, the 800s and the 80s. Yours was an 800. My first Scout was a 1967 800.I used to plow neighborhood driveways with it. It had an ancient plow on it that worked fine. It was belt driven, no electrical connections. Yours might have had a V8. The earlier Scouts only had 4 cyl options, then a 6, then the v8.

15. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

nice scout man, one of my fav vehicles of all time.

16. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I hope they do make them again! I am trying to buy back my 1980 from the guy I sold it too. It has been sitting in his garage since 1988.

http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=313007&postcount=29

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  17. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

IT WAS ACTUALLY A FORD 390 OUTTA OF A TORINO THAT SOMEONE HAD SWAPPED IN AND IT WOULD PULL A HOUSE DOWN IN 4 WHEEL LOW LMAOwesport

18. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Nice Scout. My dad used to own a Terra. I have owned several as well. Had a 67 Travelall with some sort of blade. That thing was a tank. Several Scout II's. The funnest was a Scout II with a Terra top on it. It made for a real short pickup. With a 345 and a 4 speed it would go anywhere.

19. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

Nice combination. I bet the 390 is lighter than a 392.

20. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

The Scouts are work horses. Many either have, or had plows on them. I converted mine to a short wheelbase (100") pickup by removing the full top and replacing with a Terra top. That way I could off road, I like the short wheelbase on the trail, and haul scrap metal in the box at other times. I plowed one season with my 1967 Scout but didn't make much money. I am making much more hauling scrap. But both are/were just part time for me.

I just want to plow my driveway with the Scout and pull back into the garage until spring.

My plow install is finished, but needs a new electric motor. It worked for a few minutes, so I know everything is hooked up right, then petered out. I see that there are plenty of motors on ebay for $120 or so.