1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scotts speedy green spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by clncut, Dec 3, 2007.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Ive been reading on here for awhile and noticed some use these type spreaders for de-iceing. Since I only have a few accounts to salt (Residential) I dont want to make the purchase this year for a more expensive wb spreader. I have the Speedy Green and would like to use it since I had to hand spread salt by hand during our last ice storm and that blew. I didnt feel like I was getting good coverage.

Anyways my question is, what setting to you guys set the spreader at for good coverage and to leaves a good amount of product down? Im using Knox ice melter and the material is quite fine so Im not to worried about it clogging the opening.

Thanks for the help!!

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

you talking about the hand one with the crank?
  3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Speedy Green:[​IMG]

Handy Green: [​IMG]

Wouldn't the setting you have it on depend entirely on the size and consistency of the material you're using? Sounds like something you have to figure for yourself..... shouldn't be very hard.....
  4. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

That 50 to 70 dollar speedy green walk behind is EXACTLY the spreader you want.

Let me suggest hanging some flaps from the sides of the sprader hopper that hang down below the spinner. Leaving these down will allow you to do sidewalks without throwing material to the sides.
  5. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for the replies. I just mess with the settings to see what happens
  6. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

open it up all the way:eek: