1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scott Dropside landscape body on a GMC 3500 price

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by merrimacmill, Apr 18, 2007.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Hey, I’m new to the forum here and I’m looking for some input on the price quote I received on a drop side landscape body made by Scott Bodies. I received this price from a local truck equipment company.
    The labor will be $1600 to remove and return existing truck body, install the 8’6”x80” Aluminum Scott-Lite Landscaper Body, back up alarm, mud flaps, tow plate with receiver tube V braced with D-Rings.
    The material cost will be $3995 for all of this and the freight will be $400. This all seems kind of high to me, but I’ve never bought a truck body of any kind before. So any input on this would be much appreciated. Also I've attached some photos of this truck body that I got off the Taftco website.

Thank you,

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like some pretty big coin for something you can't add tall sides to, dump, or fit much more than a pickup bed. Might there be any benefit for you getting a stake body with sides twice as high? I can't see the price for a good stake body being more than what you're getting there. Food for thought. What about dumping? If the new body was going on anyway, might as well get the hydraulics in to dump as well. Also from what I understand, removing the truck bed isn't a big deal for a handful of guys. That might be a money saver for you there too. Good luck, and let us know how you make out

3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

4. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Truck Bodies

Well you can take a look here also. www.sptrxlt.com Hippy.
  5. merrimacmill

from MA

I've never removed a pick-up bed before. Anyone know what it would take to do this project myself? Besides the tow plate. Doing it myself would take off that 1600$ labor charge.
  6. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I think you're getting hosed. You could get a dump put on for that and probably get some change back. It doesn't dump?? Corect??
  7. merrimacmill

from MA

No, at that price it doesn't they want a few more thousand to put a dump hoist on that bed.The price does seem like way to much for that.

Are you talking a steel or aluminum dump?
  8. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I'm thinking steel. I almost bought a truck with one of those scott dropsides on it. The body was so racked the sides and gate wouldn't latcth right. The truck and body looked perfect too. No dents in the floor or sides-- topsoil and mulch only. If you want to use it as a non dumper I think they are perfect. Just something to keep in mind if you arethinking about making it dump later on. I've seen upfitters local to me put 11' long x 8' wide Heil steel dumps with a full headache plate and full cab protector, manual tarp, 7 ton rated electric over hydralic pump unit and 2 way gate for 5-6 K. Of course aluminum is always about double that of steel but the labor costs don't change. Plus you're starting with a new truck, not some rusty piece of crap they need to burn bolts off of and redo the wire harness for lights for.... I think I'd do some local shopping and make sure you are comparing apples to apples... Good luck!! LEt's see pics when ya get it back:bluebounc
  9. merrimacmill

from MA

Contacted a dealer a couple hours up into maine about this truck body because that seemed to be the next closest dealers of these truck bodies. They told me that they no longer deal with Taftco Scott Bodies and have yet to update their website.

They told me that they could never even get a price list for these bodies because the price of aluminum would constantly change daily. So they would have to quote a price for a body that would only be good for a week or so. I then asked if 3995$ sounded about right for that body and they said it does. I imagine that his answer would be unbiased in reguards of the price because he has nothing to sell me.