1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scoops of Salt = Ton?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by carcrz, Dec 21, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

So I'm pretty sure I'm being taken, but how much does a scoop of treated salt weigh? I was thinking it should be 2 to a ton, but the only supplier near me is saying only 1. & @ $120 a ton, I could basically just run deicer for about the same price.
  2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

depends on the bucket of the loader.We measure ours in yards ,we have four loaders rated at 3.25 ,2.5, 1.5 1.0 and then we convert yards to tons and use the formula 1yard=about 2500 lbs
  3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Like said it depends on the size of the bucket. When I started offering salt I bought Magic salt. It was $85 a yard. On yard is pretty close to a ton. Anyway, he said his bucket held a yard which was pretty much the same as a ton. I'd say he was pretty close. I only used treated a couple times, just way too expensive imo. I get Bulk salt for $33/ton. Hard to justify $85 when it's basically doing the same thing.
  4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

the magic salt lasts a lot longer & doesn't refereze near as easily. I pretreat w/ it & if there's a dusting, it melts to nothing. Thanks guys for easing my worries. I just want to make sure I'm getting what I'm told.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is their a truck scale around? Most places that sell salt with out a scale will benefit themselves not you. Do you have a choice who you buy from, if not there's not much you can do about it anyway.
  6. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

see other posts on this
  7. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

As far as I know, there aren't any other suppliers that are 24 hours during storms & will sell less than a truck load at any time. There isn't a scale there that I'm aware of.
  8. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

I hate buying anything by the ton. I hate paying for water. One bucket will weigh different depending on it's moisture content. I needed salt/sand mix during a freezing rain storm and the usual $50 load cost $120. I lost money on every job I used that sand on. I now know enough places that will sell winter materials by the yard. I have @ 6 yards of both magic salt and salt/sand stored. Some loaders have scales built in
  9. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I thought the salt place down the road from me said that rock salt is 72 lbs per cubic foot, times 27 cubic feet per yard=1944lbs....assuming its dry, which he claims it is. Is he pulling my leg?
  10. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

So Winter 3 hit the nail on the head. SALT by the yard/ton and weight have several factors the will determine the how much you get AND what your coverage will be.

I get salt by the truck load and I can see the difference in the VOLUME of salt I get in a 22ton - 24ton get smaller as the season goes from DRY to WET.

I would have to say if you pay by the bucket you will come out ahead as the weight will vary as the material gets wet.

I stick by 1 bucket to 1 ton. I have a 1 yard bucket on the loader. I keep in mind a +/- 500lbs per bucket depending on conditions and who wet/dry the salt feels.

Lastly, What YOU pay in YOUR market will be driven by the market you do business in. Dayspring stated he can get salt for $33.00 where he is, I am getting a deal based on my usage at $45.00 a ton plus $7.00 per ton for hauling. The only way to REALLY know if what you are paying it fair is to price the cost in your market.

Now take what JD posted and add in what options do you have? If there are no other options then you have to pay whatever for now to get the materials you need. This is something that many small business operators fail to cost into their pricing. Plan ahead and now what your material cost and availablity is before you find yourself locked into a signed contract for a loss.

Ron G.
  11. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

It also depends on the salt itself, if the individual grains of salt are larger, then there will be more air pockets in that yard of salt, compaired to if the grains are smaller, then they are tighter together, with less air pockets, meaning that yard will be heavier. Now, Im not involved with the salt buying at my company, so Im not sure what "sizes" if you will, salt comes in. But I have been told that there are atleast two "sizes".