1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scoop vs Wings?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Dec 25, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

my goal is to get rid of the trail off during windrow. i can get some cheap used pro wings, or some new scoop style extensions with a 4 inch flair out.

what is your experience?

2. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

Have multiple sets of the (now out of business) Pro Scoops on our trucks. These convert your plow to a box plow. You could fab your own if you've got tooling and ability, but they must have flexible wear edges...unless you don't mind bent metal scoops and lots of repairs. Ours have been in use for years and we rely on them. Nothing eliminates trail-off snow, but these are the best thing out there for a straight blade. They are decidedly not maintenance-free however.

The Pro Wings (Buyers) are popular. We tested a set for one year and the consensus was "They're okay...better than nothing...but not a gigantic advantage." Probably worth the $200 or so, but a downside is having to cut a rather large hole in your moldboard for a pin to go through. I would not use them on a new or very good plow, but a "beater" plow is another deal.

3. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

the ones the shop made have rubber edges same as oem built. and he's givin me a deal for only 75 bucks. so if you say scoop is better than the wings then it sounds like the way to go.

4. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

For clearing parking lots, small drives, and intricate areas which require collecting and moving snow in order to clean them out...we haven't found anything better than a box plow (scoops on a straight blade). In an occupied parking lot (say midday after a snow, and cars sitting around) the box plow is the hands-down champion at gathering snow away from vehicles and moving it out of the driving lanes.

The Buyers Pro Wings have no advantage over the scoops in our opinion.

The BOSS or Western wings are another matter. These units are built strong and can gather significant extra snow, though trail-off will still be more than with a box plow. Wings do likely have an advantage in snow depths over 8", and where wind-rowing snow is the means of disposal. Condo drives, roadways, larger lots, deeper snows etc.