1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scoop pump noise?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by RNRlandscapes, Nov 17, 2013.

1. RNRlandscapes

RNRlandscapes Junior Member

Hey guys, I have plowed with a hiniker scoop in the past. Recently picked up a 9' scoop. Plow works fine, just cleaned fluid reservoir and swapped fluid. My issue seems to be that there is a decent amount of pump chatter/noise when raising plow only. Anything I should be concerned with? No chatter when angling plow at all. All three cylinders have a bit of pitting on them but not sure if that would affect anything?

Let me know where to look or if I should be fine.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Lots of possibilities ... gland nut too tight on lift cyl, main pressure relief bypassing too low, bad pump, bad motor, pump sucking air, etc. gonna have to start by narrowing the problem some. More info please ...

3. RNRlandscapes

I will start by loosening gland nut and see if that helps. How do I adjust pressure relief bypassing?

Thanks again

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

You wouldn't adjust unless someone messed with it. Most likely would be debris or rarely a damaged relief valve

5. RNRlandscapes

There is some pitting on the lift cylinder as well. Could this be a cause?

6. bliz&hinikerDLR

Pitting will tear up seals. That could be the debris in the system. Also, pitting in the rod will bring moisture into the system. Bad in both cases. I would recommend that it be replaced. Hiniker cylinders are reasonably priced so don't put it off.
    When you replace the cylinder, you should flush and refill the system. My guess is then you will find the debris. If it is seals it will appear as a black material on the pickup screen and at the bottom of the tank. That material will look fiber'ish and not be magnetic. Also, pull the main relief valve ass'y and clean it. Don't loose any parts and be sure you put it back together correctly.

7. RNRlandscapes

Ok thank you