1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

scoop or v plow - can't decide

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by ernest, Jan 10, 2008.

1. ernest

ernest Member

If you have experience with the scoop & v plow, what would you say are the pros & cons of each. We do aprox. 30 drives, 3 small lots and a very large lot with many islands.It takes about 6 -7 hr. to do it all. Looking to speed it up & add another large lot next year -
    thats very wide open.We use the c plow now - and love it !
  2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I think the scoops are going to take over in no time. Easier to operate, less moving parts, etc... the only down fall is when back dragging you cant get as close as can with a straight blade. Trip edge is great too.
    As far asV blades go I have only used a Boss so I have no knowledge on the Hiniker V's. The Boss I used has since been converted to a straight blade. Did it by putting a solid scraping edge on it and had the dealer rerun some wires.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I agree with NBI Lawn which doesn't happen often seing he's my brother. The v blade only helps for breaking trail, it may hold alittle more snow in the scoop? I think the scoop is faster,lighter,cheaper,and has less moving parts. Just my .05 cents.
  4. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

The Scoop plow will be your best value for that bib lot even some of your small ones, less snow trails and you will beable to stack snow much higher and out of the way, the v plows now have a valve which the cylinders will lock the wings from falling forward which looks like the scoop position and it will hold them unless you run into something backdragging with them like a post. The trip edge on the hinikers now is the coolest thing out there. check them out, no more going thru the dash whenyou hit the curd or a water shut off or storm drain or man hole cover.
  5. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I would have got one if I had a 3/4 ton truck
  6. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

What is the price difference you are looking at for V vs. Scoop? It sure would be nice when spending 5k if you got a test run. None of the dealers around seem to stock anything.
  7. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

has anyone personally used a scoop plow for backdragging? youd think the snow would just trail off since its facing the wrong direction. Its like backdragging with a v plow in scoop.
  8. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

Here's the way it is.

Last year I had the Hiniker 9.5 V blade. I loved it. We do several sub-divisions with steep grades, and it was nice to have the option of putting it into v mode to but up through the hills. It was also nice to transport in town in the v mode. However it is a heavy plow and I found myself using it as a strait or scoop way more than a v. This year I have the very first scoop plow in my region, and I'm in love with it. For my large lots, it carries more snow with less trail off than my v plow and Its is great for windrowing. The only down fall is it is hard to transport through town. But I will deal with that. Also I love the trip edge vs. the full trip. Hope this is helpful. Any questions just get a hold of me
  9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Id like to see some pics of the scoop plow in action.
  10. W8N4snow

W8N4snow Member

Thinking outside the box, couldn't you put a "box end" like attachment on the BACKSIDE of the scoop to keep the snow in check when back blading?

I have a straight 8 and was thinking about an upgrade myself. But the box ends seem to negate the scoop. Also, you can take off the box ends to back blade flush with garage doors. I haven't seem any pics of the quantity of snow left from a single pass for either a scoop or a straight blade with the box ends. I think I'm with those who feel a V would be too much extra maintenance for the effort.
  11. Josh Steere

Josh Steere Junior Member
    from iowa

I have a 8' Scoop on a 3/4 chevy and it is the best setup i have ever had. I dont have any problems back dragging sure it is not as good as a c-plow but i dont have any worries.

I am looking to trade in and get a 9' for next year!
  12. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

Personally I think your best off with one of the new extendable plows, they offer the advatanges of a straight blade and a scoop (v) plow.
  13. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

If we ever get any of the white stuff I will try to snap some pics of the scoop in action. I don't have and complants back dragging with mine, but I do not have any residential drives. As far as loading docks I have no problems. The simplicity of the design is what brought me to buying this unit