1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

School snowblowing bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by LawnsInOrder, Oct 22, 2010.

1. LawnsInOrder

LawnsInOrder Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey all, I am very familiar and comfortable with pricing plowing but I got a quick question here for you. I took a look at a local school today who is looking for bids for snowblowing all their walkways this winter since their current "plow guy" is refusing to do it. I measured it all out and it is just under 1,200 ft of 4 ft wide paths with 14 doorways to shovel out around. I plan on buying a good 48" blower if they accept my bid. The question I have is how long you think this will take? I know my costs but never done a snowblowing job before. Of course it will depend on the amount of snow but let's say for a 6" snowfall.....any ideas? Thanks so much.

Jason

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well probably around 2 hours during a mid sized storm to clear with a walk behind blower. Remember that you are going to be bidding against guys that can do it quicker than you will be able to. Shoveling should take roughly an hour, depending on how big, ect.

3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

A heads up. In my experience school districts are very cheap.

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

jason, why wouldn't you just stay in your warm truck and plow instead of wasting your time with a blowing bid? i'd think you could make just as much plowing and be warmer also. just my 2 cents good luck!

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Where the heck does a janitor from Maine get off "refusing" to run a snowblower? Has he not been watching the news?

Is he Union?

6. LawnsInOrder

from Maine

thanks for the replies...it's not the janitor, they are in a contract with a plowing company who does not want to give them a price for shoveling or blowing. Thanks, brantslawncare, I was figuring on around 3 hrs altogether and shooting around $250 for 6" or less and upstepping from there. Salt and sand of course will be separate. Yes, schools USUALLY try to go for cheap but this is a private school with a fair amount of money and they have been looking for 3 weeks for some help and are ready to line someone up. I will let you know if I get it.

Jason

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Gotcha. I don't have to do ANY shoveling on my school contracts.

8. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

1 hour max with my 2010 Grasshopper 721D w/ 48" Snowblower attachment. :)

From the info you gave, I would bid this @ $114.00 a visit. I don't think a company doing it with a walk behind snow blower could beat companys that are set up for doing sidewalks fast as we are. $250 is really really high. Also, you bidding 3 hours of work with a walk behind snow blower @ $250!!??? Thats $83.33 per hour.... Thats much higher then my plowing rate!! Your never going to get it at $250 (or anywhere close to that)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  9. LawnsInOrder

from Maine

I agree that I am not setup like some others might be, but there is only one other company around here with snowblower attachments like yours and they are not interested (must be too busy already). With all due respect, our markets differ a lot if $83/hr is "much higher" than your plow rate. I've got to make it worth the time that I would lose if I were plowing. I know it's a higher rate, but I really not sure if I want it. We'll see when I let them know on Monday =).:)

10. LawnsInOrder

from Maine

Oh ya, LawnLandscape, I love your setup. That would work perfectly for this job!! =) AND looks like fun

11. lawnlandscape

Its not fun... lol. There is a cover you can buy for it with a heater but it costs $1,800, and I just dont wan't to spend almost 2 grand on that. Its extremely cold, because your just sitting there and if its light and fluffy stuff, your getting it all blown back at you sometimes.

Personally, I never even use it unless its at my personal home after our other snow removal is complete. But I feel bad for the employee that does. lol

12. LawnsInOrder

from Maine

Okay, I got the contract with the following steps: 2"-6" $200, 7"-12" $240, 13"-18" $275, 19"-24" $310 and anything more than 24" at $350. We'll see how long it takes me...hoping closer to 2.5 hrs for a usual storm. Thanks for the input, everyone.

13. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

He's still a little high for my area but that’s my market, I would love to see u use that machine right up to the door of the buildings without shoveling out around the door. he also said he's got to shovel away from the doors 14 of them an salting of the sdwk , if you’re doing that much side walk for $114 more power to you, but a lot of other people on here wouldn’t. that’s more like around $200 need to make a little profit off it, otherwise it doesn't make since to wake up at 1am in the morning to -20 wind chill an go do it!!. Hope that Grass hooper has a heated cab!! (LOL) don’t know what you are charging for that machine but it has to cost more to maintain then a little walk behind snow blower but each there own I guess!!

14. lawnlandscape

That would not take more then an hour to do everything.. the sidewalk and the shoveling in front of the doors. I would feel guilty bidding more then $114 per hour. Other people would do it for LESS then that, because I lose sidewalk bids every week.

15. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

everone is losing bids this year your not the only one guy!! but you still need to make a little on top of cost of operating and trying to grow a little to. like I said as long as your happy with what your making a hr so be it!!

16. lawnlandscape

... Not talking about just this year.... but whatever.

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Glad you got the job. I think you will be kicking yourself if you get a 10-12" storm with drifting, don't know if you figured that into the accumulation total or not. You will have double the snow and only make $40.00 more? See how it goes the first season and then re-evaluate for next season.

18. lawnlandscape

I completely missed that he said he got the job. I'm speechless..... Why would they pay so much for that. :dizzy:

19. LawnsInOrder

from Maine

Thanks...I still have to meet with the Director to go over some final details this week. You have a good point - maybe I should discuss the drifting issue with him a bit. I'll just have to see how this winter shakes out.

All the best!!

Jason

20. leon

leon Senior Member

snow

Save your money and sanity and purchase a BCS 2 wheel tractor,

The single stage snow blower is available in 24 and 28 inch widths and the twin stage units are 28 and 32 inches wide the BCS/Berta 2 stage snow blowers will remove 35 percent more snow in volume than the single stage unit of the same width.

The www.earthtools.com web page has a very good description of the BCS tractor and the implements available and they ship nation wide.

The BCS will allow you to use other attachments like a sulky to ride behind the blower and a flail mower to mow lawns with.

snow-1.jpg

snow-2.jpg

snow-3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010