1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

schedule question?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bella32, Nov 7, 2006.

1. bella32

bella32 Junior Member

I was just wondering how all you guys schedule all your jobs? say if you have 5 places that need plow by 7 am the first one you would go in and plow at say 4:30 it would sit 2.5 hours untill 7 do the customers get mad? cuz more snow could accumulate or do u go back and hit it again real quick at 7? just wondered how everyone set up their schedule what things do u consider?

2. G.L. In Ont

G.L. In Ont Member

Scheduling

I think you have to take into account what the trigger is on each of the places your plowing along with the expectations that your customer has. Eg. an older couple who may not be going out that day won't mind if you get there later but the owner of a strip mall would expect it to be accessible.

Be sure to maximize your efficiency by planning your route properly. Then do the properties in that order - if snow has been falling the whole time you may want to go back to the first property and see if your trigger has been reached again.

Of course this all depends on whether you're doing all residential, all commercial or a mix.

3. bterry

bterry Senior Member

This a situation common to many of us in the business. It's usually not as big of a problem that it can seem to be. Like GL said, it depends alot on your triggers, and whether or not your customer figures on getting serviced twice (or more) in a storm that continues through 7am. Many people don't understand what we mean by trigger - many of my customers are on a 1 inch trigger, and want it done by 7am, but they also want me to wait until the snow stops falling. That's why I explain the situation your asking about and get it real clear as to what they want. I also have a 'time restraints' clause in my contracts.

You really need to watch the storm and plan well. It's part of the reason I have weather radar in my truck. It's definately a reason I have lots of trucks on the road. Consider doing those clients that get salt first - sometimes that will keep the accumulation down.

BTW - if I hit it again real quick, I bill it again real quick.

4. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

bterry-

What type of 'time restraints' clause do you have. I use something to the effect of lot to be clear by such and such a time; weather dependant. Then explain to the customer that if the snow starts late, lot may not be clear by the specified time.

I do 40 commercial accounts ranging in size from 15 acres to 2,000 sq. ft. Scheduling is a big key. I have some factories that run three shifts, others that open between 5-7, and then business that open between 7-9. Plus two large apartment complexes, 14 buildings and 7 buildings (8 units in a building), and two hotels. On top of these I have 20 residential, most of these are second homes around the lake thankfully. We start with that need to be opened first and salt after doing them so if there is a small amount of snow we dont have to go back and check.

5. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Here you go. It sounds about like what you have.

6. bella32

bella32 Junior Member

ok that makes sence thanks