1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scenario.......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Dec 29, 2005.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

The forecast is for 4-5" (depending on snow conditions, could be plowed once), starting midnight day 1 and ending evening day 2. You wake up morning of day one with 2-3" on the ground.........do you plow everyone once, then plow everyone again when the next 2-3" falls or just wait until all the snow is done?

I tell people I will try to wait until the snow has stopped and just plow once unless we are getting a lot of snow, then I will have to plow more than once.

4-5" is kind of on the edge of being doable in 1 plow or plowing twice. We had this similar situation earlier and I ended up waiting until the snow was done and the city plows had been through.................only to find out that many of my customers had already shoveled. On the other hand I've had people ask me why I plowed that 4-5" twice when once would have worked.
    Seem like we're da**ed if we do and da**ed of we don't.

My new theory is this: If in doubt, plow. I guess I would rather have someone call me to say don't plow so much rather than call to ask why I didn't plow.

I hope some of this makes sense, and I appreciate any opinions.

Joel B.

2. yankees1

yankees1 Junior Member

I would plow 2-3 then go back every 2-3 after. It all depends on what your trigger is.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Plow it once, then add a surcharge $$$ to the bill for the extra 2 or so inches.

if it's $45 per push then do one push and add $15-$20 to the bill.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Plow as needed. They signed with you to ensure their driveway or parking lot is snow free. If its late evening and I just plowed them and its snows around 11pm ish I would wait then until the am. But if its during the day I would plow as needed.

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

It all depends on the contract. For the commercials, they don't mess around. They want to be open and clear. As for residentials, they generally don't want to pay twice for one snowing. Now, if you cleared that morning, then cleared again for them (the residentials) again the next morning (night, whatever), then it would be 2 pushes, but as I say, with resi's, it is borderline for that.
    Now, for the commercials...say this takes place on a weekend, and the place isn't open on Sundays. If it started snowing on that Saturday night, and they weren't open, I go there when it is all done (Monday morning) and open them up. They would then be charged 150% of the regular clearing price, because the amount exceeds 4".

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You're new theory is on the ball.
    You are paid to make sure your clients can get in and out of their drive- you don't plow and they need to get out you fail your purpose.

If there's enough snow to my trigger (3 inches) or is going to be by the time my customers specify they need to leave for work in the morning or will return from work at night (based on snowfall rate) I plow. End of story. If they are going to be home, like on a weekend they'll call and let me know to skip them.

I DO try to wait and save them money in plowing higher amounts of my range (wait till 5 inches of a six inch storm) IF that's possible without violating an opening time. Opening times are the priority.
    Remember to put yourself in their place- what happens if you need to leave by 6AM for work, there's 3 inches on the ground and the storm is supposed to continue all day to total of 6 inches. You can't get out of your drive with 3 inches on the ground AND you have contracted a plower to plow you at 3 inches and make sure you can get out for work BY 6am. Now it's 10 past 6 and he's nowhere to be seen.....

7. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Well we look at it this way. If it snows 3" and quits we go plow. If the weather service is saying that a storm could possibly give us 5-6,or a (severe storm alert) thats telling me that we could get several inches additional. If you wait to plow when the storm has subsided its going to take you (twice) as long to do the same work as the 3" storm would of. I write down time plowed and try to estimate how much additional accumulation they may have had since then. Usually we will call and ask if they would like our service again,:cool:

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My take on this, i have all seasonal i'll go out if theres going to be more than 3 inches on the ground by 6am. If it starts snowing after 6am i may wait until just be fore closing time and clean up the roadway. This way they see you doing your job and when they show up in the morning all done and everybody is happy. Sometimes it's that little extra that helps and when their cutting your check they remember seeing you plowing the lot and they know they won't be walking in snow to get to the car and your invoice might make it to the top of the pile.payup

also i plow because when it snows i get jumpy when i'am not out if theres more than 3 inches on the ground.

Oh ya, around here 3inches means nothing.:)

9. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

My accounts have 1" triggers, so I plow at 1". It takes me about 6-8 hours to plow my accounts so I wait to so them again the next morning.