1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scared

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Deyes, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Deyes

Deyes Junior Member

Hi,
    I bought a used 2004 Chevy 3500 Silverado dump body and put a under tailgate spreader on it. The dump bed worked fine the last 2 months and even the first 2 days of spreading. At the end of the 2nd day we stopped for 3 hrs to shovel driveways. When we were leaving and tried to put the bed up it would not move and made whining sound. 3 hrs later it went up 6 inches and I put it back down, feeling some sense of peace. A few min later I tried again and it went up 6 inches and started whining then stopped so I put it back down. Once back down, it went back to just whining and not moving. Does anyone have any idea what this may be. I am scared to death that I have made a big mistake.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Start by checking fluid level

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You could have moisture in your hydraulic fluid and it's frozen up. I'm pretty sure the whole country is facing a major cold snap so maybe take a heat gun and warm up your pump and reservoir and see what happens.

4. Deyes

Deyes Junior Member

Thank You

My concern was that somehow I bent something and I did not understand why letting it sit cold for 3 hrs got it to move once. It only got to 30 degrees when it stopped working but worked great at 32.

5. poopdeckpappy

poopdeckpappy Member
    from KC,KS

Fluid level. Next.

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

You may have been low on fluid all along since you bought it, and like stated, the cold showed up making it difficult to flow. Figure out which flavor you need & Napa should be able to help you out, unless you have an equipment store nearby.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's b/c nobody maintains their sh!t. I'd put money on it's old fluid, low and none of your pivots are properly greased. Give it or have someone give it a good service and it'll probably be fine.

8. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

This.
    It amazes me the amount of people that don't take care of their stuff.

9. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

Amen to that got a neighboring farm that does 0 maintenance. Dealer writes 0hr on filters when new they took tractor in for "lack of power" had over 2,000hrs on it with all original filters and grease zerks still had paint over them all!!!