1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Scale Model Plows

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by dieacst, Dec 15, 2006.

1. dieacst

dieacst Member

If anyone is interested in seeing pic,s of my scale model custom plows, diecast collection send me an email. rmn@sympatico.ca ROB....
  2. Plow Chaser

Plow Chaser PlowSite.com Addict

If you want, send me your clearest photos and I will resize them and post them on this thread for you.

3. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Yea snowplowfan does a okay job on models to, ya know lol. I would like to see the pics anyways Timgamby@sbcglobal.net
  4. Plow Chaser

Here you go Rob!!

Picture 114.jpg

Picture 116.jpg
  5. Plow Chaser

Here are more.

Picture 118.jpg

Picture 119.jpg
  6. Plow Chaser

And more and more.

Picture 120.jpg

Picture 121.jpg
  7. Plow Chaser

Last few. Great job on the models. We should start a business!

Picture 122.jpg

Picture 123.jpg
  8. jazak

jazak Member
    from NJ

They look sick. Got any more?? You can make pretty good $$$$ doing that. A local guy here make customs model trucks for people. Lots of the big trucking companies get exact replicas of some of there trucks made up. His price start @ $100 and go up.
  9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

those are really nice

in the second picture of the first post ive never seen the spreader at the front of the hopper on both sides do they still do that?
  10. jazak

jazak Member
    from NJ

I think they're 2 different trucks and the one has a spreader on the right and the other on the left side. Thats my best guess.
  11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

It appears to be sitting in front of a mirror. I've never seen one spread from the front. Very nice job on the models!
  12. Plow Chaser

Being a model builder I know that good money can be made, but honestly what you put into it, it will never be made back. I get approached to build models for companies and other snowplow enthusiasts. When you give them a price, they fall over because they feel it's too high. It's simple math.

If it takes me 30 hours to build a 1/25th scale plow and I charge $10 an hour (less than 1/3rd of what I make in real life) there is $300 in labor. You want a certain kind of truck built, well you are talking anywhere from $25 to $100 for a kit. Oh 2 hole buds, 6 spoke rims, heavy treads, different suspensions, front drive axle, tire chains, tack on another $50-$100 in aftermarket parts. Then there is glue, paint, scratchbuilding supplies. Time you are all said and done, easily $500 minimum. I'm sure there are people that would pay that, but not too many would. A lot of guys are looking for something you could pull off the shelf at Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, or your local hobby shop. They do make those, First Gear, Sword Models, Hot Wheels. All good stuff, but nothing really custom or replicating what exists in the real world. Sword Models I will give huge props for the new Oshkosh they have out. But honestly, if you build models for fun, it's just that. You start doing it for money, it's then a job. Jobs are fun, but hobbies are more fun! Just my take on it. Rob, your turn!!
  13. oshkosh619

oshkosh619 Senior Member

Ryan makesan excellent point. I too have friends who used to "build for fun", their talents were observed and then people starting demanding their models. Alot were taken aback by the price of a fully or partially custom scratch-built model. But that's the price of quality. I have, in the past, paid well over $1000 for a custom-built model of a favorite sci-fi subject. Now I don't do that alot, but am willing to when I get the exact subject I want, and a museum-quality build-up.

Rob, Ryan is right. You two should go into buisness. Your work, like Ryans is exquisite!! I would love to see you both produce "modification kits" for the new Sword Oshkosh including plow hitches, plows (Tennco, Wausau, Frink, etc.), wing plow assemblies, spreader bodies, dualie rear wheels, different front wheels, etc. so that one could replicate any real (or imagined) Oshkosh you want. I do, though, understand the effort and cost involved. Many wouldn't be able to afford them, but they would obviously be worth it!

Like Ryan said, a VERY big plus to Sword for the Oshkosh's (see my post in another thread for a review). My fleet arrived and I love them. I would like to modify my yellow ones to look like Logan Airport equipment, and the orange ones like upstate NY units, but both would require changes. While I've got the MassPort decals for the Logan trucks, that's about as far as my modification skills go!!

Keep up the excellent work you two!

JIM SHERRY Senior Member

Those Sword Oshkosh Plows are nice,post some pics,I would really like to see them.
  15. starc

starc Senior Member

just post them so we can all see them....
  16. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I actually want to buy a replica of my truck loaded up. Here's my gallery, and a sample pic.

Picture 017.jpg
  17. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Torwell had and optional front....

In the real world of spreaders Torwel had a front or rear discharge option for their chassis mount hopper.I will try to find a photo somewhere.
  18. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Built this model of this truck that i had a few years ago....built the plow from scratch....

19. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

The real truck...
  20. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

Hey Poncho, looks like the old ford needs a set a timbrens....lol...Just playing All those models look great.

I would really be interested in making one of my truck, how do you go about it? Is there an actual kit you can buy with the plow or do you need to fabricate your own? i would really like to know more and see more pics