1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sbx 240 snow blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rich414, Nov 27, 2011.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Today I noticed that the 4 blades on the fan of my bobcat sbx 240 high flow are all bent again. I pulled the fan and straighten the blades, I am afraid that I have straighten them so many times that the metal is weak and will not hold up.
    Has anyone ever rebuilt the fan with new blades?
    Anyone know of source for a new fan where I wont have to pay the Bobcat price, which I think is $750
    And yes it does do a great job blowing rocks and gravel! lol

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

can you add gussets behind the blades? what are you putting through there lol.

3. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

anything that is in the way, this time I believe it was 3" minus road base and ice..Thought about the gussets, I think i am going to get 4 new3/8 " paddles made and weld them to what is already there

4. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Most machine shops can make those for you. Ive repaired a few the hardest part was balancing them and making sure it didnt warp while welding. But I would have to say it would be about 750-900 for true and balanced one. I know it can be done! Thumbs Up

5. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Mike - that is my fear is warping the thing when welding on the new blades. I was going to use an old tire float balancer to the thing balanced
    WHat about this, Cut off the top angled portion and bolt new blades onto what is there? Balancing is still going to be an issue.
    thks

6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

We've bent ours as well. While I haven't tried it, the gusset idea sounds the best. Try it and let us know. While the balance might be an issue, I can't imaging after bending a little, they were in balance in the past anyhow.

7. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Just called a few delaer in Colorado, the prices are from $435 to $480. I am going to take the fan off and take it to the local fabricator an see what he will charge me to make new and thicker blades that are bolt on.
    Here is what I was going to buy for a balancer , unless i can find a tire shope that will let me borrow theirs. http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-wheel-balancer-39741.html
    BLOWMAN I bet that most people dont even know that their fans are bent. A buddy whos company has the www.quickattach.com blower and the fan is very stout and his employees have never bent it and they beat the sh%& out of everything...
    R.