1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

<Says like Homer--> WHOO HOOOO!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dogbonz, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

well today I just bought a BUYERS low Profile Tailgate Spreader.
    Got it at http://www.angelos-supplies.com/plowparts/

Got a great deal,,, Now with the silly Questions,,

1) How fast am I driving in the small strip mall lot to salt it,,,, 3 5 10? ( Never done it or watched it be done,,)
    2) And at what setting on the controller do I run at, that speed? (have no clue here,, I figure, Trial and Error?)

I got the Hitch mount extra,, and I'm going to my folks shop to install it wire it up and get ready to start my first Com lot. Signing contracts on Friday! =):bluebounc

Everyone has said, "Theres good money in salting!" and I have looked around in my small town, to see Most of the guys that have plows Don't have spreaders. So I'm Hoping that I can get some More salting accounts as Winter finally kicks in here in Michigan!

Any tips for this new salter??? From, you pros!??
    I'm good at putting salt on my taters,,, So any do's and Don'ts would be appreciated!

2. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Good post I am going to be salting for the first time this year as well. I am a sub for a local company and they asked if I would like to come out for salting events in their truck. We did a little training in the yard.

3. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

I did read in another post that for #1 rock salt to have like one piece every square inch.
    Sounds like I'll be burning up some product to find out! But I know that guys that have down it have the experience to just shout out,,, I run mine wide open and do 15 MPH, or mines on 6 at about 5 MPH.

Lets hear it Fella's

Also Would you rather salt or plow?

I'll get some pics tommorow

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I bought a buyers earlier this season. I dont run salt, i use Ice devil or Tiger melt. Its attached to a Bobcat that probably goes 6 miles a hour ?? If you run it at 10 it will throw about 25 -30' and it burn though the product really fast. We typically run it on 3 and that covers a 15' sidewalk very nicely and it doesnt waste a bunch of product. It also depends on how much snow we are melting.

every time we get a new salter I take it into a parking lot and check it out at different speeds and spreader #'s. Do it in one of your lots and at least your not completely wasting the salt.

Check mine out http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=40646

Hope this helps
    Paul

PS Your signing a salt contract in January thats weird! what did they do in Nov, Dec.

5. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

NOTHING!!

Well odd as it seems,,, I put a can help post in here in Nov. got called from a contracted in big city to sub a job for him in nearby small town. He would of had to drive 40 mins oneway to do it. So, we met and agreed to a price and such. Then the warm weather hit. The Guy who owns the property figured he didn't need anything right then so the contract just sat there, Low and behold, The Flurries this past weekend put it in his mind to do the contract. The Contractor is doing it till I get setup. I am on my way now to go install the spreader, wire-up, and add some amber side lights and a 3rd brake light,, using a extra trailer wiring harness. I'll post some pics later,,