1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Say NO! to bent pushtubes...

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by matstang, Jan 13, 2010.

1. matstang

matstang Member

I've only plowed once with my CC plow this season, but the first thing I didn't like was the idea that I'd forget to take my finger off the 'in' button and bend the stinkin' push tubes. (Promise it didn't happen, but it was close!) Was thinking of installing a small switch on the frame to prevent this from happening. Anyone out there who has installed a limit switch to interrupt power to the 'in' circuit to stop this from happening? If so, what type switch did you use? Got any pictures? Thanks!

2. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

You might just take a look at CC's clamp on stop. It clamps onto the cable and stops against the roller fairlead.

Years ago I looked into the limit switches but ones that would handle the weather conditions were really expensive so I never did set one up. My purpose was to stop or at least reduce the cable breakage but I found another way to take care of that.

3. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

second Reb's Idea,
    3rd is to know when you blade is all the way up and not pull it higher than that.
    4th idea I had is to put some rubber stops on the push tubes where it meet's the frame first since the rubber will absorb the impact and wont have the sudden stop impact of the push tube and frame.

just my thoughts.

4. matstang

matstang Member

Yes, that was another concern of mine. Guess if I come across one for cheap that's what I'll do. Otherwise, the rubber stops seem like a good idea, but my plow only gives me 5 1/2" of clearance when fully raised, so even a 1/4" piece of rubber reduces some valuable clearance. If I come across a switch and am able to rig one up, I'll be sure to post back. Thanks for the insight.

5. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i just wait for the annhnn noise, that tells me the winch is really trying lol

6. matstang

matstang Member

I just came in from installing a magnetic switch that cuts continuity to the in circuit when the push tubes get to within 1/8" of the frame. I'm surprised at how well it works and am anxious to try it. I took pictures of the switch and magnet, still need to take pics of the install. Had to fabricate 2 brackets. I'll post pictures tomorrow...too tired tonight!

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

8. matstang

matstang Member

Here they are...best I could do for pictures. Sorry if it's hard to make out what you're looking at! Pictures are taken from the right side of the machine. You are looking at the left side of the frame. The switch itself is mounted to an L bracket I made and the magnet is mounted to another bracket I bolted up to the pushtube on the plow. I don't see how this switch wouldn't be weatherproof! I tried to mount the switch far enough out of the way so I won't have to mess with moving it in the summer. Took me about 4 hours to do, but it works so nice! Cost me $0.00 cuz I got the switch at work!

Oh, and now I don't have to wait for the annhnnnhhnnhnhnhnhnn noise!! :)

IMG00177.jpg

IMG00179.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Snow will get packed all around that. I like the idea though. Wonder if something (snow/ice) will cause it to get bent and stop working?

10. matstang

matstang Member

Guess we'll see! I used it all last season and 3 times this year and really the only issue I had was that I bent my plow mount in the summer. Not knowing I had bent it, I mounted the plow and it didn't stop! Adjusted the plow mount to where it needed to be and it worked like a charm. Also, why would snow get packed in there if I'm plowing it out of the way before it gets to the undercarriage? Again though, I'll just have to keep plowin' to see what happens!

11. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

how do you got this wired to the winch. do you got it running to a relay?

12. matstang

matstang Member

No it's wired directly inline to the 'in' circuit. I simply found the in side of the switch and cut the wire in two. Then wired my magnetic switch to each of the two wires.

13. ALC-GregH

from pa

If the snow is deep (3-4ft) I'll hit it with the plow lifted up some then drop it all the way down to clear the rest. Backing up into snow, there's quite a few ways to get the snow up there. You did a good job with it and it's a great idea. I just think it might do better in a different location.

14. ALC-GregH

from pa

It definitely is a great idea. I might do something similar if I can find a place the snow doesn't go. I just know on my Grizz that it will get up in there. I'm hitting 3-4ft of snow at times. Sometimes when it's that deep, I'll cut two lines with the blower then have at it with the plow. Last year I had snow coming over the front rack and onto my lap!!!! If I'm buried that much this year, I'll get pics.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  15. matstang

matstang Member

Yeah I can see it possibly being a problem if you plow that way occassionally,especially getting that much snow! I wonder if some sort of splash shield/skid plate around that area might help? It was the best place I could think of (as you can see in the picture I actually utilized the manual lever mounting tab to mount the magnet itself.) So, I'm sure if you made a bracket that protruded higher into the frame it might be more out of the way...? I don't know. Good points though Greg--I appreciate the feedback and ideas!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  16. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

i was gona do this last yr smae idea. but i was gona add a bypass switch in my headlight pod so during summer or evon winter when its haveing issues working, or gets tore off by a rock or ice all ya have to do it flip the switch and continue on your way. and fix it when theres a better time.

[​IMG]

17. matstang

matstang Member

Hey chuck, I'm a little confused. What's the bypass switch bypassing? In my case, when the plow mount was bumped, it caused the plow (which had the magnet) to not line up properly with the frame-mounted switch. When this happened, all that happened was the winch would not stop. (The winch still functioned, only it didn't stop like it would if it was lined up properly.) I resituated the plow mount and things all lined up right. Does this make sense?

18. chuckraduenz

wow. you did all that wireing, and you cant figure the wireing diagram. its the same as yours. just i added a switch. so if for some reason the switch that is attached to the frame of the atv gets tore off or the switch dont work. your winch is useless. this is why i added the switch. so the magnetic switch can be bypassed.

19. chuckraduenz

this is how yours is wired up:
    [​IMG]

20. matstang

matstang Member

All that wiring!? I cut a wire in half and soldered a two wire switch into it. If that's a lot of wiring I should be an electrician! I don't know about your wheeler, but I have enough switches mounted around the bars/cluster/etc., for heated grips, strobes, 55W floods, winch, etc., so to have another switch for a 'just-in-case' would really crowd things out. I intentionally mounted the switch higher than the bottom of the frame, but like I said earlier a small quick release skid plate would probably be in order to protect it from errant branches, rocks, etc.