1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

saw something new today

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Detroitdan, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Well, maybe not new but certainly the first I've ever seen. The new town plow was out sanding, and as it passed me I saw the chute and spreader is mounted on the drivers side of the truck, under the body and just in front of the rear wheels. At first I thought it was a neat idea for getting the center of the road like they usually try to do by driving in the center as much as possible, after it passed me and pelted me with sand and salt I wasn't so sure. Then I realized the spray pattern in the roadway looked like it would be a lot less effective for melting snow and ice, and on the return trip you are going to be throwing sand in the center again, so you really can't get the edges of the travel lanes. Anybody got any thoughts on this? Is it as stupid as I thought, or does it actually have some good qualities?
  2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

That is just about all the CT state DOT uses now. Even the local towns are switching over.I dont think they cover the road as well as the big V boxes but it does get the sand where its needed.Overall i dont think its a bad setup. They can adjust the how much material gets put down if they need a wider spray.
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Aren't the roads crowned so the water drains toward the berm??? They drop salt on centerline and as the snow melts the brine drains toward the berm. The traffic on the road also helps move the brine around too.