1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saw my First Boss plow today.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Dec 7, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I sawe my first Boss Plow today. The dealer was out demoing in plows, the dealer is an ex fisher dealer, turned boss.

We looked it over. I think it has some good features however, I am not sold on the full trip blade in a v-plow. I said I would have to pass on the Boss.

Geoff

2. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Your first time ever....... Where I'm from, I see more Boss than Meyer. Almost as many as Westerns. And almost never see a Fisher.

Did you get to see how quick and easy it attaches to the truck?

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I live in Northern Maine.

Boss, meyer, western, and the other brands are not well know.

Most Mainers go with Fisher or Diamond and not much else. Try to get them to change.

Geoff

4. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Fisher country

It's not just in Maine. Around here (Ma.), I would guess close to 75% market share is Fisher. The rest is a mix of Western, Meyers, and Curtis. Curtis is becoming more popular because they are locally made(Worcester I believe) and can be bought for around $2500. Seem like a decent quality setup. I have seen one SnoWay(LOBO), and the owner sold it after 1 year to buy a Fisher setup(FWIW). There are also Pathfinders(R.I.), and some Diamonds around.

There are some Boss dealers around also, they have been pushing into this market. I looked at them a couple of years ago, and was impressed with many features.

The mentality around here is still if it's not a Fisher, it's 2nd best. This probably comes from the people who have had them for MANY years with no/little problems.

Dave

5. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

The Boss V-Plow is an excellent plow. I've tried Meyer,Western and Fischer. In my opinion there is no comparing these to a BOSS !

6. porter

porter Junior Member

I tried out a new boss v and i hated it. I'm from new brunswick canada everyone uses Diamond or Fisher. The new diamond v plow is super good i loved it

7. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Funny how geographic location determines brand loyalty.
    When I was very young, I thought that Western was the ONLY company that made plows.

Porter, what did you not like about the Boss V?

And what do you like about the Diamond V?

8. porter

porter Junior Member

I'm haven't figured it out yet but for some reason the fisher leaves a bunch of snow like a line where the v is in the plow and diamond eliminated by doing something i'll have to look a little closer and see what the difference is when there parked side by side

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We eleiminated the mohawking by installing a one piece urethane center flap.
    Dino

10. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Boss eliminates the "mohawk" for you right from the factory.

11. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

yes here until a few years ago you did not see much but meyer just because they have offices in the area even now, unless you are in the industry and know better ,people around here think it's the plow to have

12. plowking35

from SE CT

I will agree that boss uses a better factory center design. However that center shoe still wont let it trip in the scoop position.
    Dino

13. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I sure wish Vince would work on a replacement for the Boss' "horses hoof" center piece, out of urethane. As you say, if it hits anything square, it takes a beating, not to mention how it wears anyway. I would rather have a piece of urethane there.

14. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Unfrozen gravel in November is pretty tough on the horsehoof, but the hoof does work fine and has only ejected once. I too would like to see something a little more durable without having to become an inventor myself.

15. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

The guys I used to work for had 5 boss v - plows and they all lost their "camel toes" / "horses hoofs" / whatever you want to call that piece in the middle on a regular basis. As far as attaching them (the RTII and RTIII), I found it more of a pain in the butt than hooking up a good 'ol wester unimoint straight blade that's missing the jackstand. The BOSS V's sure were good at pushing snow, but they were always in the shop, usually for bent center pins on the RTII's and other center pin problems on the RTIII's. Some people will tell me that we were abusing these plows and I will agree, but the important point is that we abused all of our plows and the boss V's seemed to break the most....

-J

16. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

You leave them bent.

They never break.

There's a couple of tricks to properly setting up and Boss and you never work on them.

17. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

You obviously weren't doing something right. After mounting the Boss V on a friends truck in less than a minute (and it was my first time) I curse every time I have to hook up my unimount. And I still have the stand.

18. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Thats why they call it the u-n-i mount, 'cause it takes both u-n-i to get it on the truck.

The horsehoof has nothing to do with mounting the plow.

19. plowking35

from SE CT

I can at least mount the uni mount style by myself, but it takes at least 5-10 minutes if all goes right. I have found with the v plow, that leaving the plow in the v position makes getting to all the pins and clips alot harder. During the season, I leave them straight when I take the plows off.
    Dino

20. recon

recon Junior Member

I have had Fisher products for years. I recently purchased a 9.2 Boss V plow. I have plowed 3 storms, approximately 40 accounts, and have had no trouble to date. Before buying the Boss I made several comparisons to get the best for the dollar. Although I've had and still do have Fisher plows, if I were to buy another plow it would be definetly a Boss. I placed my 9.2 Boss next to a Fisher V-plow and put the Boss through the up/down right,left angles and the difference is very obvious. The performance of a Boss is far more superior. The on/off the truck takes maybe a minute, unlike the fisher models. My observations are based on actuial use of both units. Like anything you get what you pay for and the Boss V-plow is more expensive than Fisher.