1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saving/Reusing Plow Fluid

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bliz&hinikerDLR, Nov 28, 2014.

1. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

I was just thinking that I throw away a lot of blue hydraulic fluid.

I never reuse on customers equipment because I don't want to put contaminated fluid back into someone else's plow. Has anyone ever tried a cleaning/filtering method on used blue hydraulic fluid. I can see screening out metal shavings and other debris, but I have no ideas on how to remove water/moisture?

Any thoughts?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Is your $1000+ pump really not worth $20 of new fluid?

3. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Ah no unless your name us birdbrain/seed

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Use it to heat your shop.
    Or sell it at half price to guys in Michigan.

5. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

When you do an oil change on your vehicle would you filter and re-use your motor oil?
    Come to think of it you would save a ton of money over the life of your vehicle....if it lasted that long.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Why not? The water we drink is recycled

7. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

seems like you would have to have a couple of things:

1. good filtration -for the fine particles

2. it would have to be heated or otherwise treated to remove the water...now is it really worth it for most; not really. I'd just burn it if you have waste oil heater, otherwise put in recycling with other motor oil...my $.02

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I only drink beer. :drinkup:

9. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I think Bud Light is recycled.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I know it's recycled, did a color match at Home Depot

11. bliz&hinikerDLR

It's not that I am being cheap ... I don't like being wasteful if I don't have to be.

I was thinking of a large vertical plastic or glass cylinder, with a spigot about half way up. Two filter screens and a magnet where the fluid is deposited into the cylinder. Let the fluid settle so that the water collects at the bottom of the cylinder. Tap clean fluid from the spigot.

I know it seems like a lot of work but I would estimate that I throw away 30+ gallons of fluid each year. The cost savings might justify satisfying my conscience. Or maybe I should just have one of those beers.

12. dieselss

Just one of those beers? I'd shoot for more lol .
    Don't you get paid for recycling it? Not sure who you have up there, but we have places here that pay for used oil

13. rjigto4oje

Hey diesel can the general public take there oil to these place i have 7 vehicle's and a ton of side jobs that i collect oil from i just give it away to jiffy lube just wondering because i generate a few hundred gallons a year

14. cdmckane

cdmckane Member

As a part-time AMSOIL Dealer here in NY, I'm required to accept used oil for recycling since I sell more than 100 gallons of oil a year. I don't have a used oil burner, nor am I going to pay to have someone haul it away for recycling. I call up one of the local trucking companies and tell them that I've got 55 free gallons of used motor oil if they come and get it. Within a day or 2, it's gone and I can start refilling the drum. I wouldn't worry about selling it, just find someone that can use it and let them have it. The good will come back to you, trust me.

15. rjigto4oje

Agreed but when i drop that much off sometimes they say we can only take 5 gallons at a time int a pain sometimes

16. dieselss

We got a 500 gallon tote. Actually 2. I'm not sure they do "home" pickup. If you can get your work to agree, you can put the tote there. I'll pm you the companys

17. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

put an add in Clist or the paper and you will find someone to take it for free.

18. bliz&hinikerDLR

I haven't looked at the bottles very closely ... does anybody know how the blue fluid differs from motor oil? I don't even know if it is flammable.

19. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hydraulic fluid operates at very high pressures. I'm not an expert but I would think it would break down and lose some of it's properties during use in a snow plow. I'll just continue to put new in each season. I would rather spend a $20 bill per unit than hundreds of dollars on repairs. Best insurance money can buy.

20. rrvsnow

rrvsnow Junior Member

I'm going to have to agree with popular opinion, never reuse oil in anything, except a good bonfire that is. The cheapest insurance is new oil, you can flash oUT a plow many, many times for the price of a new pump. The better question to ask yourself instead of how to filter and reuse oil is, what's causing there to be metal shavings and debris in my oil?