1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

saving money on ice control. Tough year.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bribrius, Nov 8, 2008.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i was wondering if anyone has used a hairdryer for melting ice. i wanted a more efficient method and less costly for taking care of my customers ice control.
    since i can plug the hairdryer in at the customers residence i wont have to pay for power usage and only would have the expense of the initial equipment purchase of a couple commercial duty hair dryers.
    I also think a towel i could use to sop up the water from the ice melting but here is where i run into a problem. How do i dry the towel without spending money? I could use the hairdryer to dry the towel but that would mean i would have to stay at the customers house longer and with a significant route time is of the essence. Drying the towel at home in my dryer would be additional cost i would like to avoid and its so cold out i dont think the towel would dry effectivley on a clothes line.
    Any input would be appreciated this is a pretty tough situation for me.

2. VBR

VBR Member

Not trying to be a dick, but is this a serious post? If so than the answer is no. It would take forever.

3. bribrius

Im on a budget and salt is expensive.

4. VBR

VBR Member

In the time it would take you to do that you could pick up two or three more driveways to make up the difference.Time is money ya know. If this is really your only option use a heat gun or a butane torch insted of hairdryer that would take hours.

5. bribrius

so you have tried it with a hairdryer? how long did it take?

Can you recommend a heat gun, and how much does it cost? Lot quicker than the hairdryer? Did you use a towel to get rid of the water? If so, how did you dry the towel?

thanks.
    Im going to be lucky to get money for gas to plow.
    I dont know how people make money doing this.

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You been drinking the local water again Bri??? Man, what I tell you about that.

7. VBR

VBR Member

Never used any of those.I don't think it will work. At all.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

you need to change that the FEE ME STATE. We beat the tax on beverage this week. Thank God, my beer was getting more expensive then gas.

9. bribrius

they will tack on more fees since the tax didnt pass. I think i can collect the water i melt with the hairdryer and save it for drinking water.
    going to be a tough year.

10. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I like the torch idea but either way make sure you post pictures of the hair dryer operation in the equipment forum!!!!!!!!

11. dyost

dyost Junior Member
    from ohio

going to be a tough year

We have looked at using a jet engine to blow snow, melt ice, and dry the pavement, similar to the ones they use in nascar to dry the tracks. Have a guy locally that builds units, we are going to mess with it some this winter to see what it will do. The units burn allot of fuel and are somewhat noisy. There is a company on web that advertises there jet blowers for snow and ice management.
    I did need a hair dryer one morning for an icy emergency. Got up one morning to check weather, nothing happening, took a shower and while i was in the shower all h### broke loose outside, 5 inches of snow fell, i was in a panic , temp was about zero outside, ran outside to start truck, my hair froze by the time i got back inside, had to use a hair dryer to thaw out my hair.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How long were you in the shower, and what were you doing.:eek: Never mind I don't want to know:D

I'm trying a variation of the hair dryer approach. I went to every political rally I could attend and collected all the hot air. I'm planning on releasing it on roadways and driveways as needed.:rolleyes:

13. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Bri,

Why not make the home owner, provide the the towles, they could leave them in there mail box for you.

What if you ate bean soup all fall, and then made your own hot air to melt the snow?

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I do like Claps mailbox idea but if you bought a gym membership you could just use their towels.

15. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Thanks JD, I also like JD's Idea

16. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

why not get a car shami and a tank then in the summer months you could charge for watering lawns. its a win win ring the shami in the tank ta da

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

BRI, don't keep the water...........selll it to the Poland Spring plant in Hollis!

18. bribrius

thats what i did last year.
    I guess they put it in bottles and sell it to the public?

19. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You could also use the hair dryer to blow the snow off the driveway if melting it is taking too long.

20. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Have you never seen the commercials for SHAMWOW? You know, with that crooked mouth Vince guy? Just get a couple Shamwows and you will be good to go! For those of you that don't get those commercials heres the link: www.shamwow.com