1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

saved by the truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I got called in to work early during the big storm Thursday night. Found I couldnt get out of my neighborhood because a big tree was down. My neighbor came with a couple chainsaws so we were about to cut it up so I could push it out of the way with the plow. I was standing behind my truck with one hand on the tailgate, when another tree broke in the wind and came crashing down on the bed of my truck. I ducked down by the bumper and tried to get small. It then fell off the back off the truck and landed beside me. So it actually hit on both sides of me within inches, but never touched me. And it was big and heavy enough to have killed me. I had little branches raining down on me, and with the noise, cracking and crashing all around, plus I couldn't see anything in the dark and rain, it was a pretty scary little episode. I got up and after a minute went back to what I was doing, then worked all night, but I gotta admit I didn't feel the same for a day or more.

Truck needs a new bed, it folded up the drivers side bedside pretty bad, and one of the floor supports actually bent in half. and the fiberglass dually fender is cracked from where it hit the tires, so it apparently compressed pretty darn far. Small crease in the cab corner from the bed moving forward, but mostly just the bed.

I got some crappy camera phone pics, I'm trying to get them loaded on the computer. I'll put them up once I get them. Pictures don't do it justice though. That old truck took a hard lick. Can't help but feel like she saved my life.

2. Detroitdan

pics. in the first pic the tailgate is pretty much where it belongs, so the 6 inch gap is all from the bedside being pulled away and down. in the other pic the truck is sitting level, so you really shouldnt be able to see into the back of the bed at all. I have stainless bedrails, and at the back there are two thick steel plates on top that bolt to the tailgate sander which had to have stiffened it up tremendously, because the top of the rail doesn't even have a dent. I think it hit right on the 1/4 steel plate that you can just barely see, at the top of the bedrail toward the back. I'm lucky the sander was safely at home, or it would have surely been destroyed.

bed1.jpg

bed2.jpg

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You take care of them and they take care of you.

4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

who did you piss off that would just notch and drop a tree on your truck while your trying to helpout your neighborhood?

5. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

Detroitdan, pretty scary stuff. I've been falling trees for 30+ years. Anything can happen and when it does it happens FAST! You got very lucky. I,ve got a sticker on my hardhat from Stump Branch Logging, from the tv show AXMEN it says "RUN OR DIE" You may have used up 1 of your 9 lives.

6. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

Wow you are lucky for sure. Glad to hear you came out of it unhurt.

7. Detroitdan

Well, they totalled the truck. They said there are no replacement beds available to them in all of NE. Good thing he didn't look under the tarp in my yard. I'm definitely going to buy it back, I've got too much stuff into this truck that I don't want to do again, like the ATT, airbags, and on and on. I can fix it myself cheap and pocket some money. I should take the money and buy a new plow, but for the same money as a new plow I can buy another good plow truck. But then I don't need this truck. I can't make up my mind what to do. Wife would rather see me waste the money on stuff for the house, or paying bills or fixing the dent in her truck, but I'd just as soon invest the money wisely in another redundant old truck or something...
    I want a diesel Suburban with a plow, so I can have a backup plow and can carry the whole family in one vehicle when we go camping, plus tow a big azz camper, but that's what I bought the crewcab for. Somebody stop me!

8. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

If your truck is still in good running condition slap the new bed on it, and see if you can find a nice used newer plow in the want ads or craigslist. That way you can still have some left over cash for what the old lady wants. A happy life is a happy wife.

9. Detroitdan

that actually sounds like pretty good advice. I hate the thought of spending a bunch of money on a plow right now though, so I can sit and look at it all summer. But still probably the right thing to do, since my plow is really hammered.

10. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Im sure there will be some 9 foot Fishers or 92 Boss Vs lurking around for yours, mounts and wiring included.

11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

BUILT LIKE A ROCK---good story,glad you're OK

12. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

You know what they say about every other truck but a GM. If you open the hood, you,re just looking for trouble! Put her back together.