1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Save $ on gas with employees

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gpin, Dec 8, 2005.

1. gpin

gpin Senior Member

In Jan 05, we eliminated company gas cards and went to a reimbursement system. In order to get a pay check every 2 weeks, employees have to fill out a mileage log and gas receipts. Our gas costs have gone down 40%.

I'm really bothered by how much key people took advantage of our trust.

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i think that it is time to have a talk with your employees about this. theft is theft no matter how small. someone was stealing gas from you. remind them that if caught they will be fired and possibly charged.

3. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Unfortunately, this type of crime happens often. For example, a local municipal inspector was seen filling his wife's car at the town gas pumps. The only problem is that the inspector has a truck issued by the town but he figured gas prices were high and what the heck.

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

That is a childish way to acomplish your goal. If someone is stealing man up and fire them. Now any honest employee you had will have a gripe with you over something they didn't have any part in, and as a bonus they will use their own money to front your fuel expense.
    :nono:

5. jhook

jhook Senior Member

If you are concerned about annoying some of the employees with them having to front the gas money, then just offer them an up front float for a couple hundred or whatever the average gas bill should be. Mark it down, have them sign for it and take it off their final paycheck or something like that later on. Then they are not out in the meantime and have no reason to get ticked off.

6. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Joe D, Childish? If I fired everyone, I would be out there alone today. Most our key employees have been with us 10+ years and have developed skills. Or out with a new crew of people who feel that a $20 here and a $50 there is ok. My primary goal is to run a business that makes $. Not make an issue of everything.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  7. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

If it's any help..what we used to do is open a charge account at a gas station we use and give them a list of our trucks and licence plate numbers..the driver fueled up and had to go inside and sign the ticket..and write down the mileage on the ticket...myself or bossman would swing by the station and gather the tickets...the drivers do not get a copy of the ticket when they sign..we had 8 trucks and spread allover..this worked well..

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I never had a problem with people stealing from me when I had empolyees.. Maybe you need a better interview process. :rolleyes: :nod:

9. MisterIceMan

MisterIceMan Junior Member

I don't understand what you are saying. Is there still a problem now ? by what you state, it seems to have been resolved. A 40% drop in gas prices is a huge one. Your employees were stealing from you big time. It doesn't appear that it was just 20 or 50 dollars here and there, unless everybody was doing it. I suggest that you talk to your drivers one-on-one and explain to them that there was a 40% drop in gas prices before. One suggestion I have is to find a station where you can open a charge account and have your drivers sign receipts and make a note of their mileage and license plate number when they fill up. good luck

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We have "Fuelman" cards at the Ambulance Company I work for. The cards are keyed to the vehicle number,or Supervisor card. The person fueling must input their secret number along with the odometer reading. Management can print off the log of fuel purchases anytime they want. They know,who,what,when,where the purchase was made. It would be hard to get away with ripping off the company! They know the general MPG of the vehicles too.
    It' sad people would rob their employer by stealing fuel,and abusing the trust.

11. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Instead of confronting them and finding out who it was you just took them away. You also insist they buy your gas for you and then you will pay them back. I don't get it. If someone is stealing then you need to confront them and let them go. 40 % fuel savings is not chump change.

12. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Maybe I missed something here.. Gpin didn't say his employees were stealing - just he changed the way of paying for fuel.

Seems like a reasonable way to make sure the employee gets the most reasonable price for fuel, vs a fuel card that doesn't require price shopping.. (Depending on how much time is between the payout and the reimbursement.)

Today, in a 5 mile circle from my office the price ranges from $1.99 to $2.15. The "all night" station is charging the most, while the stations 2 miles away from him are charging the least.

Seems if you used Gpin's idea, the employee would be more inclined to fill at the lower price station - assuming that it's on his route or within a reasonable distance.

13. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

He is implying they were stealing

I'm really bothered by how much key people took advantage of our trust.

While his method solved the crime I think he should have found out who was stealing and delt with it.

14. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

If I had proof I'd privately confront the individual and offer to let him "make it right" by reimbursing me. If he makes a stink then you should fire him. There are other ways to steal. He could be plowing other driveways and pocketing the money. He could abuse the vehicle and cause excessive wear. The problem isn't going to end with gas. He obviously has personal issues and sees you (the authority figure) as the problem.
    Two examples; friend of my brother's got caught stealing out of the cash drawer at a cinema she had worked at for past 10 years. You say "yea but she must have needeed the money" I say " she's married, no kids, house and lots of toys" and "did I mention she's the branch manager of a bank!!!" She lost that job too (as a result of the cinema theft).
    Now for a story Micki will love, some of you might remeber these people as they were in the national news for awile. They're locals around here. http://www.fox23news.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=82ACC833-3E61-48F1-A0D7-90D2298F63F3

15. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

i wish my boss in the summer gave me a gas card its a HUGE hassle to either go to his house or try to find him around the city just to fill up a truck. and if he ever said hey front he bill to fill up the truck something like 80 bucks i know i wouldn't see that 80 bucks in my pay check i would have to wait 2-4 weeks to be repayed seperately

16. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

yea trust...you are trying to make $$$ off of them...they are getting u back.
    and it will always be that way..but yes there are honest people who wont steal.
    use those people in ur biz

17. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

You must pay your employees well because there are times of the month when I couldn't afford to fill 2 vehicles with fuel, even if I knew I was getting reimburssed.

18. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

My employer has 4 company pickups, all of which go home at night with a boss or a salesman. They are all gas hogs, and we only fill up at the local station where we have an account, which is 10-15 cents higher than everywhere else because it is miles from any competition. Add two diesel medium duties and our gas bill is 8,000 to 9,000 bucks a month. And they don't see anything wrong with that. I've heard guys say how good the truck went in the snow, while pulling the snowmobiles up north for the weekend! When I started working there, I always would write the truck number and the mileage on the receipt when I sign for the gas, they said they thought that was a great idea! I couldn't believe they hadn't been doing it, at least to see how bad the fuel mileage is. I have never seen anyone less concerned about what they spend on fuel, yet they will chase nickels and dimes in other areas.

19. Calamari

Calamari Member

gas card

The gas card I use requires a PIN #, mileage and signature. Stealing is easily discovered and the thief is dealt with accordingly.

20. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

He might be saving gas cost because all the trucks are sitting with one empty tank and the other at 1/4 tank. I get it all the time we have a station 50 yards from the station.