1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Satellite Radio and Hideaway strobes???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 4x4Farmer, Dec 4, 2006.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Ok, so I have this 924G cat wheel loader that I installed my strobes in last year. Well we got our first snow last night, and I put my satellite radio in there. When the strobes are on (which is all the time) it interferes with my satellite radio signal. As soon as I turn the strobes off, it comes in perfectly clear. Im sure its not the satellite signal, but probably the wireless transmitter from the satellite radio to the acual radio. Is there anything I could do to make it come in clearer? Any one else have this problem? I can hear it a little bit, but its really staticy. Even when Im listning to the local radio stations I can hear a little static when the strobes are on. WHAT DO I DO?????
    Thanks guys. Im gonna go to bed now, but I'll check back later, thanks
    P.S I think my control box for my strobes are mounted about 24 inches below the radio, and about 12 inches from where I have my satellite radio mounted.
  2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

have you tried a different frequenct for the FM modulator??
  3. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i just put a sirius radion in my truck...im gonna go test that . i will let you know how i make out. cause that will drive me nutz
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Get a noise filter for your power wires for the sat. radio.
  5. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

try moving the antenna and then try moving the radio around. I have the strobe wiring in my headliner and it gave me problems for a while but I finally found a good spot...away from the wiring.
  6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Is you ground straight to the battery for the strobe? If not it should be.
  7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Listening to AM local news/weather ( WBZ 1030 for you New England guys) I can always hear my strobe charge and flash thew the speakers. It let's me know its working OK!

No interference with Factory XM.
  8. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

When we are working in the street laying pipe the strobes interfere with our laser. Took us a while to figure out why it wouldn't stop beeping. Same thing with BZ in my truck yaz. They are the only station that has decent weather reports.
  9. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I think my ground for my strobes are going straight to the battery if I recall right, but I'll check tommrow. I guess I'll try changing the frequency and see what happens there. Epic, where can I get a noise filter? at a local electronic store? and what exacually is it??? I could try moving the radio around a bit, but theres not as much room to work with in a loader cab as a pickup, so im proably not going to be able to get it to far away from my wiring for the strobes. I guess maybe a guy just cant have everything, right??
  10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Its just a filter that connects on to either your power or your ground wire, I think that you can them at truck stops. Alot of truckers have them on there cb radios so that they don't interferance.
  11. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

We have 2 xm units, they both interchange into the tahoe,dumptruck and the cambridge soundworks xm dock/stereo in our home, best plowing accessory ever! payup
  12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

mine did that too so i got the tape with the cord on it to plug into the sat radio and plugged that into the tape deck of the truck so it was a radio wave and it didnt interfere with my hideaways or anything else
  13. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

it is easiest just to either hard wire it into an aftermarket deck with a line in or buy an fm modulator that taps into the antenna going to the radio and then tune it like that i find sometimes those work the best when puting flip downs into cars with factory head units, but by far the best sounding and easiest to do is have a deck with an auxillary line in and you won't have to find a channel with nothing on and it will sound the clearest

Just my 2 pennies