1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Satellite Images

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 4x4Farmer, Nov 11, 2006.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Does anyone know of a good website for getting satellite images? I have tried a couple, but they don't zoom in far enough. I'd like to be able to print some of them off and mark where we pile snow on the lots, so I can give to our new operators. Maybe they don't get any better unless you start paying. Just thought I'd ask you guys, cause I know iv seen some pretty good ones on the estimating forum. Thanks for your input.
  2. Ripple

Ripple Member

I use the local county website.
  3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I use google earth but you can use Terraserver or global explorer. Just a example from our route book Google server can rotate its image

US INK Redna terr. (Medium).jpg
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  4. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Thanks fernalddude, that google one is pretty good. The problem I was having with terraserver is some of my lots I do, dident even exist when the pictures where taken in 1997. The google one will work great for me. Thanks
  5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

6. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Google Earth works pretty good for the Fargo area. Once you get about 5 mile east or west or 15 miles north or south the picture quality goes down dramatically. Plus alot of the images are provided by Navteq which I believe is based or has an outlet here in town ove in the Gold Dr. area.
  7. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

You can also check out Flash Earth

Seems pretty complete for my area.
  8. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

Wow!!!! that's much better than local live
  9. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

try zillow.com it is used for real estate but a lot of the time you can get some pretty good pics.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

See if your local county tax web site / office has it. Companies over fly areas and take pictures.
    They use it to see if people have added stuff they can TAX !
    Ours is so good I could see my old Bronco II parked in the drive and my lawn mower sitting in the yard.
  11. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Am I missing something? or is it just a Canada thing?...lol

I went to everyone of those sites and I had tried the google one before, I can only get so far in (just far enough to identify some roads) and then it is all blurred out. I assumed you had to pay for it to get better, but as the original post was trying to find something that was not a pay thing and everyone seems to be happy I was wondering what I am missing.

Thanks for any help
  12. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

nah its all free...some areas just arent covered as well as others......i'm guessin you live in the boondox
  13. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Actually from what I can tell it would be better if I did live in the boonies...I am in Canada and the coverage is good you can tell it's all there and you can get very good images of the "boondox" type areas (like those I have seen on this site) but as soon as you zoom in on a City area it let's you get so far but then it is deliberately blurred out. I have tried Toronto and Barrie both with the same results...anyway, I guess maybe it's free for you guys and not for us up here in the great white north...lol

Thanks anyway.
  14. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the sat photos are older and they have not made a new pass for awhile
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Our county keeps them current and with very good detail. Much better to be able to find properties they can reassess for higher value. Or planing improvements or any of the little projects that burn tax's.
    Humm, Look the Smith's added an in ground pool and some outbuildings not noted on the tax card.
  16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Don't forget the Feds restrict how detailed any of these imaging things can be. Depending on what's around you- try zooming in on a high profile govt. building. I google Earth'd Area 51....
  17. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

went to do a google the other day and found the land no problem but what i am bidding isnt there its still the old junk yard which has been gone for 8yrs now...checked out my house...still had my old car out front and all...a little out dated but its great if u find what ur looking for
  18. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

Google says u need broadband. I only have dial up will it work or is there 1 that will?
  19. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

they will all work, just slowly