1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sandsalt operation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bedford1, Feb 8, 2012.

1. bedford1

bedford1 Junior Member
    from ny

multiple parking areas. is it better to plow with smaller trucks without sanders and follow up with a larger sand truck while the others move on?

2. procut

procut Senior Member

It depends. If you have enough work, equipment and man power, I would say having a dedicated salt truck is the better option. The visibility when backing,, ect. is much better when plowing if you don't have a spreader in the back, or even a tailgate mounted one. Plus, you can have a dedicated salt truck or two and have all the damage that salt causes just done to one or two trucks vs. the whole fleet.

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The flipside is its nice having the extra weight in the truck for pushing heavy snow.

4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

You could always have one of the pickups with a sander, and the rest could hold extra bags if your using bagged salt/sand?

5. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

ditto on one dedicated sand/salt truck. It kills me watching the salt monkeys munch away at a perfectly good truck, can't imagine all my trucks being devoured. Dosen't matter how much you wash and oil everything, you can't stop it.