1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jcoria, Nov 2, 2011.

1. jcoria

jcoria Junior Member

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to running my plowing business, I have plowed before but never did the salting myself. Always subbed for other people. I have to price a parking lot and the owner wants me to give them a price for sanding. Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between that and regular salting. Thank you
  2. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

In the salting service you apply salt to melt snow and ice.

By sanding, you have to have a lot of time and extension cords as well as a really large belt or orbital sander to be efficient.
  3. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

In some places, they not only apply just salt or ice melt, but a mix of salt and some type of aggregate like sand or stone dust. It is claimed that by mixing the two, you get a better end result? While I have never used anything but salt or calcium chloride, there are plenty of places on the web that claim a mix is just so much better. I can not substantiate these claims?

I do know that in the bad winters of 93/94 and again in 95/96, a lot of municipalities ran out of salt with no way to get any more inventory. When that happened, they started using straight sand. I would assume that it helped and was better than nothing? Good luck in finding your answer.:)
  4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Neither can they.
  5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Salt melts ice,sand provides traction on icey surfaces.
  6. jcoria

jcoria Junior Member

Im guessing that I would have to buy them seperate and mix them? As for the price, this would be more expensive than just salting?
  7. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Sometimes poeple refer to sanding, when they are actually talking about salting, so clarify with your customer unless you already have.

Sanding can also mean:

Sometimes it's small stone chips.
    Sometimes it's straight sand
    Sometimes it's a mix of sand/salt. This is also reffered to as pickled sand. In the old days, the common mixture was 10/1 (sand/salt). Now, depending on the application, it could be 7/3 or even 50/50 custom mixed.

Traditionally pickled sand was/is very inexpensive. Locally I can get a ton of the 10/1 for about 30 dollars. Of course you can purchase the same product from a reseller for 80 to 90 dollars a ton also. To Compare, standard white salt runs an average 95 to 125 per ton. These prices are all for picking up 1 ton at a time.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

$60/yd (arguably 2500ish lbs depending on moisture) for 50/50 in our area and you'll be shocked to see how far a yard will go.
  9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

For the most part, this has been proven false. Unless the sand is treated. Same goes for salt.