1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sanding With 2 Wheel Drive?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kenny Moon, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Kenny Moon

Kenny Moon Junior Member

Does anyone use a two wheel drive one ton with dual rear wheels for sanding? If so, how does it work?
  2. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I ran one years ago worked good no problems with it. Most sanders on the road r rear wheel drive trucks
  3. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

I have a 1989 f-350 dually that only gets used for sanding, i have a 8' vbox on it it is a 4 wheel drive but have never (in 7 yrs) used the 4 wheel drive.... you will be fine!
  4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

im using a 77 chevy dually. 2wd and i get around great. i put studded tires on the inner duals for extra traction. but it works great.
  5. ehlingerlawn.co

ehlingerlawn.co Junior Member
    from 56377

You will be fine with 2wd, our 3 salt trucks are 2wd.
  6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

You will be fine. Hell I see 2wd 3500's plowing lots all the time around here. Salting shouldn't be an issue especially with all the weight on the back
  7. Kenny Moon

Kenny Moon Junior Member

Thank You,
    That's what I was hoping to hear
  8. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

2 of my 3 sanders are 2WD DRW. They work fine until we have to do a tower or gas line road.
  9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Works fine, the only real problem is ice storms. But then, even 4x4 can have troubles in that event.
  10. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

2 of my 3 sanders are 2WD DRW. They work fine until we have to do a tower or gas line road.

Maybe you could back up the road sander first???...lol
  11. hyfire39

hyfire39 Junior Member

we have a 1997 f-350 dump truck 2wd with a 8'6'' vblade and 2yard salter, we plow all night and then salt, no problems. We keep the salter full for plowing just to give it extra weight, you will do fine
  12. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Should not be a problem, just need to remember its not a 4x4 and should do just fine.
  13. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

We started using 2wd international medium duty trucks for plowing. We were nervous at first whether we would miss 4wd, but so far I think having the 4wd trucks is way over rated. We have loaders nearby so if one ever gets stuck we can pull them out, but sanding or plowing, most of the time 2wd will be just fine.
  14. SSS Inc.

SSS Inc. PlowSite Fanatic

We have a 4x4 f-450 but I haven't had to use the 4x4 for a few years. Usually not a problem.