1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sanding questions?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jvm81, Mar 3, 2009.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have a snow ex 7500. Bought new this year and I have used it a few times. In my area, everyone just sands, no mixture, no salt, just sand. Thing is what can i do to improve my sand? Problem I have is that the sand has moisture in it and freezes within the first lot or so. There I am tryen to break it apart. What can I do?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mix with salt. 10% salt volume will keep it from sticking.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try posting in the ice forum first.
    Sometimes salt mixed in it will help but not always. I have the same problem with sand freezing. Carry a steel rod to break it up or just try to spread the sand quicker. It sucks to have someone riding in the back to keep the sand flowing but sometimes its the only choice.

4. Mick

from Maine

I've been sanding for 10 years and a salt mixture it is probably the best for keeping sand from freezing. You will get some clumping that is easily broken up. A better solution is to treat your sand with something like Magic -0 or other liquid deicer. However, that gets rather expensive.

5. hydro_37

from iowa

All our sand sits outside uncovered. I have even tried 6 bags of ice melt in a 3 ton load and it still freezes. But Mick is right. Try to mix it next time. Good luck.

6. Mick

from Maine

I didn't take into account the factor of leaving it uncovered. In that case, yes, it will freeze regardless of what you do to it. Even coating with Magic -0; it would just wash off and the snow would melt and refreeze, leaving a frozen pile of sand. Easiest solution - cover the mix or treated sand with a tarp.

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Best $100 I spent last fall for my 100 yards of sand/salt was for the lovely, attractive very special cover, called a "Blue Tarp". Mick will know what I'm talking about, as nearly every Mainer has something in their yard covered with a blue tarp. Usually an old motor, or their roof. In my case, it's my sand pile.

8. leon

leon Senior Member

sand

Another option is simply buying a large garden sprayer to hold windsheild washer deicer or alcohol to spray inside the hopper walls and also spray a bit while loading sand in the hopper. :drinkup::waving:

leon

9. hydro_37

from iowa

Wish I could cover it but the sand we get is from the local cement co.
    They supply all the sand used by everyon in town. Freezing has been a big problem this year.

10. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I asked the same question a few months ago. The most common feedback was what "leon" said, spray it with windshield washer fluid. I haven't had to try it yet though. Another suggestion was a "vibrator", it mounts on this side and shakes the spreader. I got mixed responses on them though. Some people swear by them and others say they damaged the spreader. Best thing is to buy it in bulk and store it somewhere where you can keep it dry.

11. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Can you not buy salted sand from the gravel pit? We buy it buy the truckload, it is completely mixed with about 5% salt and never freezes or clumps. I pay about $275 for a 12-14 yard truckload delivered including taxes.

12. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I may be a little late here, but..........I used to mix 33% salt with sand and kept it in a bin with tarp. Then I made a hard covered bin to store it in. That's when the mixture froze so bad that the tractor bucket left tooth marks in the pile. So I went to mixing liquid calcium chloride with the sand at about 10 gal. per ton. Yes some of it leaches out but I know it is treated to saturation. No salt is mixed in it now, just the liquid. In sub zero weather the sand is just like it would be on the 4th of July. I try to get the sand when it hasn't rained for a while, so it can be drier and absorb more liquid. About a month ago I re-treated lightly as I thought it needed it. Am also thinking about adding 10-20% salt next year for better melting capabilities.

13. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I pay about a $1 a gallon delivered to my tank. The dealer will also inject the pile for a slightly higher price. He did the first year, I have done subsequent years. Saturate and turn the pile with a loader to distribute liquid.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats too funny, but true.............