1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sanding questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by caelach, Apr 8, 2005.

1. caelach

caelach Junior Member

What is a good ratio for a sand/salt mix?
    How many yard(s) of sand would it take to do say a 100 car lot?
    Are the trailer hitch/tailgate sanders worthwhile for bigger jobs?
    How many yard(s) of sand are in a ton?

Thank you.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've been using a sand/salt mix for several years. My supplier uses a mix of approx 1:10 of salt to sand. I've never had it freeze up even leaving it in the box overnight (but not in the open where it'll get snowed on). I can't help much with how much per lot, but I approximate one yard per mile of private (one lane) road. Sometimes less or more, depending on whether I'm dealing with packed snow, frozen snow or ice. I wouldn't recommend a tailgate model for bigger jobs simply because you'll be reloading every so often. They typically hold only 300 to 400 pounds of material. You might look into a smaller V-box, though. They make them with 6 or 4 foot boxes. But a tailgate model would be easier getting off and on your truck.

Weight of sand per yard:
    Coarse sand (dry) --2700#
    Coarse sand (wet)--3240#
  3. pushingsnow

pushingsnow Member

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I see nothing has changed since I made this post seven and a half years ago.
  5. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

WTF? You brought a 7 yr old, 2 post thread back just to complain about a lowballer on CL?

6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

dont worry I dont get it either, best I can figure is it's an ad for himself & he trying to get hits/views
  7. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Either that or he got underbid by the guy on a few accounts and for some reason he thinks we care.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

These 4 questions haven't changed in either stupidity,lack of info,or did I mention stupidity in 7 years.:dizzy:
  9. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta