1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sanding prices.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CTPlow, Dec 26, 2004.

1. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

Was just wondering what you all charge for sanding drives...Its a two car wide driveway but pretty short, about 30 feet long or so.
    I'm not overly experienced in sanding/pricing residential drives so I could use a little help.
    Thanks

2003 F350 with Meyer II EZ Mount

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For me, I charge a minimum of $40 for a call-out. That will cover anything within a 15 mile radius and up to 1/2 yrd of sand/salt mix. I charge extra for anything further than 15 miles. If it takes more than 1/2 yard, I charge $80/yd. My cost is $37/yd.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i triple it for what i pay for a yard of sand/salt i pay 25.00 so i charge 75.00

4. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

Don't have a sander....only use bags....

Thanks so far for the help with your responses.
    I maybe should have clarified that I'm only using a minimun amount of sand for small driveways and some walks and steps. I'm talking just 2-3 _bags_ of sand. I find this is plenty for most of the drives I do. I don't do too much sanding really.
    I figured 2-3 $3(?-can't recall what I payed for them last year) bags used(yes, I use a rotary/fertilizer spreader and it actually works great-I can't afford a real yard sander yet, maybe next year), would be an extra $15-20 for each driveway sanded in addition to the plowing of course.
    Again, these drives are basically your conventional one or two car width drives and are not that long.
    Thanks again.

2003 F150 with Meyer II EZ Mount

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

$20 do sand after you have plowed and you are right there may be fine. What happens if Mrs. Jones phones to have her driveway sanded. You have to fire up the truck, grab the sand and spreader, drive to her house and do the job, then drive home and put everything away. Couple of bucks in gas, lets say minimun 45 minutes, I can't do that for $20. You might want to look at it as if you had a staff member go and do it. How much would that cost you and now you have to make something.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

To add to my comment above - I offer a discount on sanding IF it's done at the same time as plowing. I put a yard or so in the Vbox for ballast, so it's not a big deal. Usually charge $15 to $20 for a single-wide driveway 50' to 75'. Usually takes about 30 or 40 pounds.