1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sanding price question, newbie

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by hackitdown, Dec 12, 2013.

1. hackitdown

hackitdown Member

I did some searches on Plowsite, but no luck. Hope you can help.

I have been plowing residential driveways for 7 years now, But I have never offered sanding. Based on customer demand, I just bought a small sander. The problem is that I have no idea how to price out the sanding service.

I plow around 40 driveways per storm, and 2 very small lots. Most of my driveways are very long. A 200' or 300' driveway is not unusual, and I have a 650' one. I charge from $60 to $100 to plow these long hilly driveways for a typical storm up to 6 inches. We usually get 10 or 12 plowable storms per year.

I plan to use 50/50 sand-salt mix. I can buy small quantities of bulk material for about $90 per yard delivered. Once it is in my yard, I can load it myself into the sander. The sander holds about 1/3 of a yard. That part is easy.

The guy that sold me the sander claims that you can charge as much or more for sanding than the plowing charge. Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance.
  2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

The guy that sold me the sander claims that you can charge as much or more for sanding than the plowing charge. Does that sound right

Commercial yes. Driveways not so much at least not the ones I do. You shoud try to find a better deal on the sand and salt mix. I can get it for 65 a yard. Place is open whenever it snowing. I just pull in and they load me up. All areas are different though.

Check in the bidding and estamating threads for pricing in your area.
  3. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

He is right, salting/sanding can make more money if you price it right. You are on the right track with Bulk, however if you have a tailgate spreader you will need a vibrator or you will be out every 2 feet beating the salter, because the bulk mixture will just dig a hole around the auger. I personally would not recommend mixing salt and sand, sand just means that you have to clean up the mess in the spring. We can buy salt for 50.00 per ton here.

Just my 3 cents
  4. hackitdown

hackitdown Member

The sander has a vibrator, so that should help. I can buy sand/salt for $60/yd, but pickup price. I have no dump truck, so I was thinking I'd pay for delivery. I have a tractor to load the sander at home, so it will be easier than shoveling from the truck bed.
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

This is true, sanding can be a good $ maker, Say you charging $50 for a 15x100' drive you can charge them $30-40 for a sand/salt app(costing you $5 for a bag of salt & $5 worth of sand) One can easily make a few hundred an hr sanding.