1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sanding price advise

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by remtech1, Jan 17, 2006.

1. remtech1

remtech1 Junior Member

i've been plowing driveways for about 20 yrs. and just in the last 4 or 5 started doing some small parking lots (gas station daycare resteaunt etc.) i think i've done alright on plowing prices ( allways per push) . this year i got a good deal on a 2? yrd. sander, but have never offered this service before.salt/sand mix is about 38 a ton or about 100 to fill the hopper.is there any advise how to formulate a price? 50% add on price unfair? or maybe a cost plus formula? bany advise appreciated.

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i double the price it cost me for what i put down. $38/ton spread 1 ton it will cost them $76.

3. remtech1

remtech1 Junior Member

sanding pricing

i'm glad i got the sander for cheap. :D 100. profit on a full hopper doesn't sound alot , but then i am near the shoreline. do you use that same formula if it's an ice storm and are sanding only or is it only if your'e there plowing anyway?

4. remtech1

remtech1 Junior Member

new thought

just thinkin maybe thats why i got a good deal on the sander,andwhy the guy i got it from isn't doing that anymore. hmmm. thanks for your'e input:waving:

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have the same setup, basically. I use two systems. If they want a place plowed and sanded, I charge the same to sand as to plow. So, if I charged an area $50 for a basic plowing, then I charge $50 for sanding (I have one place I charge $5 extra, but that's another aspect). Now, if they call for sanding only, I have a minimum charge equal to half of what I would charge per yard. That, of course, covers anything up to 1/2 yard of material. If someone "cold calls" and asks "What will it cost to sand my driveway?", I tell them "At least, $xxx (equal to 1/2 yard), but it may be more depending on how much sand/salt it takes." That gives them the option of saying "I only want (1/2 yard; 1 yard etc). Make sure you take note that the customer controlled how much was used. You may want to modify this based on your own situation, it's just how I do it. For determining a charge per ton or yard, I charge double my cost.

Sanding or salting can be very profitable, but you need to set up a good system to start with.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  6. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

$0.22 per pound applied.. That is a blended salt/sand mixture and is our most commonly requested and applied product. It's a white rock salt treated with Liquid Magnesium Chloride and has a 2:1 ratio of salt/sand.

We pay $0.02075 per pound.. Net after product is about $399 per ton, which is before fuel, labor time, etc etc etc.

7. remtech1

remtech1 Junior Member

$399. a ton ? i'm pretty much just doing local small busineses.that sounds like some pretty high tech s*** .payup where do you use something like that?

8. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

the thing with salting/sanding is you do it alot more often then plowing.how long will it take you to do your lots the ones i salt im done in about 45 min - 1hr and i make about $200 gross about $125 net not to bad for an hour of work.plus if you are out plowing already what another 5-10 mins for another 40-50 bucks

9. remtech1

remtech1 Junior Member

i guess like mick said ,the trick is tobe set up for it.without a machine and place for storage i need to travel to the quarry to fill up every time and they don't stay open at night.guess thats reason enough to get a backhoe.(think the wife will by that excuse?)

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Maybe. I bought a tractor and loader partly to fill my sander from my own pile rather than getting it from a quarry like you're talking about. Saves a lot, available when I want and I save on material used. If I buy from the quarry, I'd get at least a yard. Then I'd use maybe 1/4 - 1/2 yard on the account that had called. So now I'm left with half a yard or so. What do I do with it? I'd usually just spread it thicker than needed or spread it on my own driveway. Now, not only does the material cost far less per yard, but the number of yards I have generates more money. Plus, in my situation, I can use the tractor in the summer and save by doing a lot of stuff around here myself instead of paying someone or I can hire it out and generate more income. Plus, if it's for business, it and the attachments are be a business expense. At least, you can deduct the portion that's used for loading the sander.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  11. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

what supplier are you getting the Liquid Mag Chl from?? Thanks Karl

12. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

You could start out by pricing things as time and material.

Take your material costs and mark them up some where between 50-100% above your cost and come up with a cost per yard. Then determine your costs per hour for labor and equipment, don't forget to factor in high maintenance costs. Your L&E costs should be between 55-85$ an hour.

Now when you go to look at a job you can figure travel & on site time, material quantity etc.. and come up with a reasonable price. Don't be afraid to make sure that you factor in a little extra time for washing down the truck and sander when complete. If it will take you an hour divide that up between an approximate number of accounts that you have. You may have to eat the clean up at first when you are trying to get going because you can't expect 1 or 2 small accounts to shoulder the entire burden.

Start off this way and once you determine your costs you can then experiment with pricing by the yard etc....

As far as product purchase don't be afraid to approach somebody else that is local and has their own supply about buying from them. I am always welcome to the idea of selling a little product for a little extra payup

13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

is this a company you work for? do you own it? I noticed you were 19. dude you are making damm good money! keep up the good work. you are making over $800 per 8' load. same load for me, I'm making apx. $280. i'd charge $800 but i would be fired the next year.

14. qualitylawncare

SWP Environmental
    11399 Route 21
    Wayland, NY 14572
    585-728-3770

My sales rep- Jim Hange

15. qualitylawncare

I own the company...

We have the Rochester Corporate account for Kodak.. They require service 24/7/365.. We have only skipped salting their lots 3 days since Thanksgiving this year.. Talk about excessive! Most days the lot has a pile of salt on it:confused: But they keep saying "go ahead and salt tonight".. Doesn't bother me one bit, as long as they are happy.

16. Jay brown

you must be pulling a net of 50-100k a year salting this company lot? seriously? keep up the good work.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  17. Jay brown

dude i'm not trying to call you out but i'm from the show me state..... your 19 years old, you own a big business, have 14 trucks, 500 snow plow accounts, three or four offices and your business has been around since 1998? that would make you 12 when you started it? the only trucks i've seen on this site are the three fords. sorry if i'm sinical but i've been burned too many times.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006