1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sanding Charges

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by hbrady, Nov 16, 2015.

1. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Hello All,

I live on a private road with 5 houses. The road is about 400' long and 15-20' wide. For years one resident has kept 2 sand barrels stocked (with free sand / salt from town) and sanded the road when needed. Usually it's a 100' hill that needs sanding but occasionally he sands the whole road. I'm pitching a proposal to the association to start paying him for his work. My proposal was a $50 per season stipend to keep at least 10 gals of sand in each barrel, $25 to sand the hill when needed and $45 to sand the whole road when needed. My wife thinks that's excessive but I'm guessing a contractor would cost at least twice as much. I only charge $50 to plow the road so you can see our home owners are used to getting a pretty sweet deal. Do any of the professionals think my offer is too generous? :cool:

2. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

So sanding an extra 300 feet of road is only worth 20 dollars? He's doing it by hand?

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not a carpenter or woodworker, sorry I can't help.

4. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

The upper part only needs a light sanding when needed and yes, it's by hand.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If your neighbor is cool with a rate that low assuming the sand it still free from the town...... gitty up.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Tell your wife to do it by hand all winter and see if she still thinks it's excessive

7. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

The problem is, she would do it and then I'd be stuck with all the shoveling around my house :D

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I would charge $75 to sand that with my nice warm truck.

How much would YOU want to go sand that road by hand?

9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

$125 per visit

He can't be applying much product to cover 400' by hand?

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Sanding the whole road 400'X20" (8000sq ft) for $45.00 with supplied materials equals being paid $245.00 for sanding 1acre with supplied materials.

Using your $75.00 for the whole road equals $408.00 for sanding an acre with supplied materials.

Seems a little high.........