1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sanders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by oldmankent, Feb 9, 2009.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What is the best way to outfit a one ton dump with a sander? Vbox, under tailgate sander? don't know much about sanders. Thanks.

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

You will hear guys tell you both. I have a V box, simply because I would rather rust that out before I would want to rust out my dump body, and it is easier to cover that up water tight than it is my entire mason dump.

I've only owned a V box, but have looked into both just as you are doing. Here it is how I understand it..

V Box Advantages:
    .Interchangable between trucks (flat bed, dump, grain body, pick-up, etc)
    .If it rusts out, get rid of it and toss in a new one. It would be a much bigger deal to replace a dump body (if you let it get that bad of course)
    .Drag chain/auger so you do not need to dump the bed to get the sand/salt to the chute
    .Easier to cover water/snow tight to prevent salt/sand freeze up
    .Top screen to filter chunks to large to pass through

V Box Disadvantages:
    .Big and cumbersome to remove and store
    .Blocks visibility
    .Drag chains can become unaligned or break
    .More moving parts
    .Less control than under tailgate spreaders

Under Tailgate Advantages:
    .More control, independent control of auger, and spinner speed.
    .Smaller
    .Easier to store
    .Easier to remove
    .Can still utilize the dump bed if needed without having to remove a large V box
    .More visibility

Under Tailgate Disadvantages:
    .Have to dump bed while driving to get material to auger
    .Creates constant exposure to salt to dump body
    .I hear they might clog up because of the little passage the material has to flow through. I am not sure if this is true or not though as I have never owned one.
    .Generally the electric ones are more expensive than a V box.

Thats all I really know about the situation. I have no complaints about my Henderson V box if that says anything.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

With my hydro you can control auger and spinner speeds independently. It would scare me to drive around with my box up in the air I've seen dump trucks rip there boxes off on bridges before

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer a tailgate sander because I have more control of the sand/salt. Plus I can look out the mirror and see what I am sanding/salting. Also you do not have to drive around with the box up just tlt it and listen/feel it fall to the back and then set it back down. Plus you can also see behind you not just look at the v box.

5. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

Yes to Replacement Tailgate Spreader

I agree with going with a tail gate sander but you need a Replacement tail gate spreader .This is one that monroe makes and its mounted in the place of where your existing tailgate is.It Locks in the same upper and lower pins as your tailgate does.When you want to dump your load out at the end of your spreading you can just release the lower pins like you would on your tail gate to dump a load and wala it dumps easy and you can clap your tailgate sander like you would your tail gate after dumping a load , jarring any material still left in the box.I had one on my 96 one ton for six years and when i got my new 2001 F450 i was able to put on a 7 inch side extension on both sides to make it fit the new wide body dump box and to this day im still using the same one! Thirteen years later lol, do you think she has paid for herself yet? I can even take some pictures so you can see what it looks like.It has a lower auger and a upper breaker auger ran by central hydrolics with a spreader and auger adjuster below my seat.The spreader is in the center and i have replaced the spreader blade with a ploy one last year. Yes you do have to raise the box every now and then but you will get use to knowing when and how often.Always look over head but majority of the time since its a shorter box, (mine is 11 feet long) Power lines are usually out of the way compared to a tandem truck which they always seem to be in the way.Nice thing is no conveyor to break with a load on top of it waiting for you to shovel it out and you can easily dump your extra material out when your done and its simple to clean and maintain. Heres a picture of one i found online, hope the link works , it did for me when i opened it in another browser, if not let me know and ill take a picture of mine. http://www.ntecorp.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/monroe1tontgspread.pdf