1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Idealtim, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

I have finally gotten enough acounts to need better de-icing setup(if it ever snows in ct). My little wb spreader will not suffice for the workload I have now. With that being said, I either want a new tailgate for just rock salt, or a fixer upper v. And for the tailgate, I want new only because all of the used ones I looked at were really used. If I decide to go the tailgate route, the buyers suv pro is my choice for $600. From there, I looked around local and in the classifieds for 8' v's. I found two that wern't new but not completely rusted out...

1) An old cheif central hydro(my truck is central so thats no problem) that needs a conveyor link chain and most likely a control valve of some sort, and a coat of paint.$500

2)A henderson, about the same age, recently painted, new impeller, but also needs conveyor chain. Has a 8hp briggs electric start and some funky controls, probly don't work. Asking $700.

Both units are not running and may need anywhere fron $300 to $800 to get either back to running condition. So what would you choose? An old hydro v, an old gas v, or a new tailgate for a third the price but have to buy bagged salt?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

go with the hydro.. the chain will prob cost 300-350 and i wouldn't worry about the looks for now.. paint it as a project when u have nothing else to do.. u might even be able to talk the guy down a bit because its hydro.. hydro is def the way to go but as far as resale goes its a lot harder because not everyone has a truck equipped to run it.. forget about the other one with a bad motor, no chain, and messed up wires.. if u think about it their isn't much more to a sander than that besides the hopper..lol.. and as the tailgate goes i would say forget about one of those too they are pointless imo,your in my area and I'm sure u will out grow it fast..
  4. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Okay, hydro is looking real good right now, but let me ask you this, does the hydro pump that runs my plow have the gph flow to drive that little drive motor on the spreader? And this is just a educated guess, but 10gph?
  5. kkls2006

kkls2006 Member

I posted about a week ago Diamond hydraulic sander

2 Yard Cap
    Long Chute
    Excellent Cond.(NO ROT)

It would take about $800-$1000 to convert it to Gas If you used ALL NEW PARTS

Much cheaper if you find used motor,clutch,controls
    or use as is it's in perfect working cond.
  6. kkls2006

kkls2006 Member

7. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

problem is that you and mick are about a state to far for me to consiter buying either.
  8. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

i would wait till someone else gave u some better advice, but i pretty sure u cant run it off the plow. so def wait on the purchase actually it's a mm not even a old hydraulic i would def say no. i was thinking that was kinda weird that u would have central hydraulics on a f -250..
  9. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Thought I'd ask but........any way you can wait till the end of the season?

If so you will find so many great deals out there and at a reduced cost,I myself would go that way for now and sub out any sanding work till seasons end then grab a great deal.

To be honest,I think a drive up to Maine to look at Mick's sander would be worth it at $2500,those Fisher units will last you a very long time and many go for much more than he is asking for his.