1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sanders...questions....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by beanz27, Dec 29, 2012.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So reading quite a bit on here, and real life experience with a V box sander, but only used it once and it isn't mine. My extent of training or anything was here, push this button when you get in the lot, and push it again when you leave. Thats all. So I'm wondering here, whats the pro's and con's of the different kinds of spreaders, as in types, not brands.

V box and Tailgate are the only ones I know of, is there any more, and which is better for small things?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well theres also walk behind and a scoop. Either go with plastic/poly. Or stainless steel. Alotta pple prefer electric over gas due to reliability all ours are snowex and have had a liitle troubles with them.....but nothing like the gas vboxs we used to have look around and see what the closest dealer support u have

3. IDST

IDST Senior Member

Plastic and electric for sure. Tailgate. Gets to b a pain in the azz loading ovrr nd over if u do a lot. We have a red one in the bedbof our truck. Works great

4. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Whats the difference between V box and tailgate?

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Cost,Capacity,Operation, Maintenance, and a couple grand to start off with.
    V-Box slides into the bed of the truck and Tailgate typically slides into the receiver hitch.

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Do they make V box sanders that will fit in a short bed truck or only long bed? I'd prefer to get one for the one shortbed truck I've got, as it's got high miles on it and realistically I don't use it much so I dont care about the body much anymore.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

All different sizes are available from just about all the manufactures, right down to ones that fit into a UTV.

8. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

To be clear, there are basically 3 types of truck mounted spreaders:

1: V-box. Advantages usually include substantial capacity and few feed problems especially with a vibrator.
    2: Tailgate spreader. This is the term I'd use to describe a spreader that replaces the tailgate on a dump truck. Your capacity is essentially whatever volume/weight you can carry in the dump box. One disadvantage is that you have to regularly raise the box to make sure you've got ample material at the tailgate for the auger to move to the spinner.
    3: Hitch-mount spreader. These are spreaders that would fit into a receiver hitch. Sometimes they have other attachment methods as well, depending on the manufacturer. Advantages include a low initial investment and the ability to install/remove it as needed. Disadvantages may include limited capacity and limited material handling--in other words, most units will only spread bagged ice melt products. There are a few out there that will spread bulk salt and salt/sand though.

Choosing what you need will depend on a number of factors such as how much de-icing are you going to do? Do you have a shop where you can keep a pile of bulk? If not, do you have a convenient supplier that's open 24/7 during events? Do you already have a dump truck you can install a tailgate sander on? Do you have a place to store the equipment in the off-season? How much do you have to spend, and how long will it take to recoup that capital investment and have that equipment put money in your pocket?

This certainly isn't exhaustive, but it should get you thinking.

9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I think I'll probably go with a hitch spreader for now, then next year MAYBE get a V box slide in for a truck. It'll be awhile before I'd need anything for the straight trucks.

10. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

Excellent post Thumbs Up