1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sanders 101

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MFD18, Jan 3, 2007.

1. MFD18

MFD18 Junior Member
    from Boston

...im noticing the sanders get more action than the plows (at least this yr and last)...with all the small mixed ice/snow storms...mostly all small stuff

i have an F-550 PSD dump truck...what sanders would you guys recommend?...

what are the costs?...and how much do they weigh?...can i load it with a mid sized Bobcat?

and what else do you need to know?

im thinking next year i may add a sander, and just starting my research...any help/ideas?

2. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

sanders

i have been using a tailgate sander for the last couple of years but got another truck with a swenson vbox and both work great. i have been luck with both so far since all we have been getting here is rain/ice. Allof the guys in my area run swenson or wester ice breakers. I havent had any problems with my swenson yet. just rusty.
    a new sander is about $2, 000 and up.

3. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

I have an 8' western mounted in my F550 dump. No problems with it at all. I have an 8' steel that weighs about 900 lbs. I load it with my skidsteer with no problem.
    Considerations:
    gas or hydraulic model if you have central hydraulics
    if you go gas- engine manufacturer and size
    steel, stainless steel, poly
    what type of mateial are you going to run through it
    bagged or bulk material

once you start looking- consider options and features you want or think you may want
    some come standard with an inverted-v, topscreen, and cover. others these are options on.

hope this helps.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

An under tailgate spreader is the way to go. The only down side is the cost of Central Hydraulics. With it you can use the the truck like normal, and leave it on for most of the year if it's not in the way of your normal business. also you get the FULL capacity of you dump bed.

Once you get central Hydraulics you never have to look back, you can pretty much run anything you want off of it. Say you pick up another V-box fo cheap, then you canjust slide it in and hook the lines up. Just my opinion.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We run downeaster stainless, electric spreaders. I Personally have never run a central hydraulic tailgate spreader, I do see the obvious benefit IF you have the central hydraulics. That said , electric seems the way to go, they are less expensive to purchase and to replace the motor if needed. No matter whether you chose gas or electric( I assume you don't have central hyd) you'll have to deal with chains driving the impeller and the conveyor. We lube them to death during the season and after(summer storage) and still seem to have to change them every season, not a huge deal but something to be aware of. To those of you using gas spreaders WHY? Is there a benefit? I can't seem to think of a good reason, but I'm used to electric or tailgate sreaders.

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I have an undertailgate and its all I will use. Central hydraulics is the way to go. But plan on spending $3500 for the hydraulics alone.

7. MFD18

MFD18 Junior Member
    from Boston

thanks all...

bb, so i guess i need to find out what type of material the cities/towns use (i plan on subing out w/ the city)...also if you spread for the towns/cities, do they provide the material or do you

i have no central hydraulics on the dump...so i guess id go electric...

8. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I know I bought a 8 foot snoway 2 yarder for my one ton and already I wished I went larger. On a F550 I would go with 3-4 yarder. If you offer the service more accounts will come.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I wish that's the way it worked. My investment turned into a big goose egg. $16,000 for a one ton truck to carry a $4,000 Vbox was unquestionably one of the most major financial mistakes I've ever made. My advice to anybody is to first research the market. Are you sure there is an existing market out there and how are you going to get your share? I thought the same as you - when I started I had one of only two Vboxes in town. Try as I might with multiple advertising mediums, the business didn't materialize to justify the initial cost. I lost well over $10,000 including what I sold the truck for.

As far as most people know, I still offer the service. I've not gotten one call this winter for sanding, despite a couple of ice events.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007