1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sander

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by meyer22288, Jul 4, 2003.

1. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

What would be the best sand spreader for a 1 ton dump truck. what would be the cost of this sander and do u have experience using it. :)

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

V box. Pick a brand, any brand....

~Chuck

3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

You can get a v-box for arround 3500-4000 or so for a steel one Check ebay in the winter they go very cheep i seen them for under 1000.Plus the options of gas or electric or maybe a Trynex poly one. Hope this helps Walt:drinkup:

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Fisher Pro Caster V box. 16" chain. 11hp Honda.

About $3800.

Yes.

Actually, I agree with Chuck. They all have their good points. You might also want to look into an Under Tailgate (UT) model.

5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i bought my torwell V-box (steel) for $3600, with an 8 hp briggs & stratton. its a good sander, although my next sander will definitely be stainless.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd go with an under tailgate spreader.Cheap,and dependable,and easy to maintain.No extra motors,and you can still dump with it on.No need to yank anything out to use the box.

They are also much lighter,which helps,as most one tons are way overloaded when heaped full of salt.

If you have capable hydraulics already on your truck,then you just hook up the spreader controls and it's ready to go.If not,then you will have to add a hydraulic system capable of running the spreader.

Henderson makes good units.

7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Thanks for your help. I will need to run hydraulics to my truck.
    I will look into a under tailgate spreader also thats sounds like the better way to go. U guys are really being a big help thanks a lot.

8. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

If your salting roads the undertailgate spreader is the best way to go.But putting central hydraulics to run it will be a little pricey.I run undertailgate spreaders on my F-650s and tri axle and is it nice having the abillity to dump without taking the spreader off.

9. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

You are right on afermarket hydraulics, I was surfing the web and seen a setup everything included for arround 2000 i was shocked at that price, I would go with the v-box too.

10. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Matt,are the undertailgate units effective at all on a residential site?I know most of my drives wouldn't allow me to run with the box up the whole distance,some not at all,i see that you said roads,just wondering if you did any residentials?

11. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The cost of the central hydros is why I initially said to get a V box.

Arc, on residentials, I don't think you would need to run with the box up. You would just need to get the salt back to the auger, then lower the box, and salt away. The only downfall might be that many under tailgate units have the spinner on the left side of the dump box.

The EZ Dumper replacement tailgates have the spinner in the center.

~Chuck

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If the material outlet is adjustable to the spinner location, you can set it up to spread to the right, left, or whole road by positioning the material entry point closer or further from the spinner center. Look for a unit that allows this adjustment.

13. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Althought I do not currently have a truck with dump body, I just want to learn some more about hydraulic undertailgate spreader and how it is set up.

If for example you have one ton dually truck with dump body, the truck should have central hydraulic system, right? Because you need it to lift the dump body to dump the material you are hauling. If so, then I would think that all one ton trucks with dump body would be able to run undertailgate spreader, correct?

As far as I learned as of now, the advantage of undertailgate spreader is that you would be able to haul more salt and/or sand at once because of reduced weight. Also you would not have to deal with loading and unloading the V box on and off the truck. Other than those, is there any additional advantages that I do not know of or missed?

Probably a silly question, but to keep the material flowing down to the undertailgate spreader, you would need to lift up the dump body correct? How would you deal with it in low profile area, such as residential driveways with alot of low hanging trees?

Again, I never owned an one ton dump truck, or any dump truck at all. So I have very little knowledge and understanding of how they work and run. I hopefully to own one someday in future. But while I am dreaming about owning one, I would like to learn more about central hydraulic and undertailgate spreader. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks. :)

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

One ton dumps, or any other dump for that matter don't necessarily come with central hydraulics. Many 1 tons use an electric pump for the hoist as a cost savings, others have a PTO driven pump which runs off a shaft in the transmission. This requires the clutch to be engaged to operate.

While it is possible to raise the body while driving with the PTO pump, these pump usually are too small to run a sander.

Most Central hydraulic setups are either belt driven like my 550 or have a driveshaft off the front of the crankshaft to run the pump. The latter is usually found on bigger trucks and often requires modification to the radiator.

One advantage of the under gate spreader you didn't mention is cost, they're lower priced than V boxes. You are correct in assuming you must lift the body, but once the material is shifted to the rear, the body can be lowered again. You need to monitor the flow and raise/lower the body as needed.

15. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Steve, usually you have to add central hydraulics its a different system ,usually on a 1 ton dump the dump is powered by a PTO or a electric pump.

Has for advantages for the undertailgate spreader you can still dump without taking the spreader off with is pretty nice and when storing the spreader it doesnt take up a way smaller space then a vbox.

In a low profile area you can dump the body so the load shifts to the back of the body ,so you dont have to kept the body up the whole time.

16. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Thanks for all the replys and help from all you guys!!:drinkup: