1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sander units

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bossdude, Jan 23, 2010.

1. bossdude

bossdude Junior Member

Gentlemen,
    I'm looking to purchase a sander unit for my 09' F250, reg. cab ,8' bed, 5.4L. I'll be using it on city side streets as a subcontractor in my town. There seems to be a lot of options out there. Poly vs. Steel (painted/stainless), Electric vs.Gas vs. Hydraulic, and all the brands: Fisher, Western, Downeaster, Meyers, Salt Dogg etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks.
    Also, someone told me it would be a mistake to do it at all. That I would Rot my truck out in 2 years. As you already know it can be pretty good $$. I plow for the town now with a Boss 8' SuperDuty TripEdge, so far no issues. Thanks.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

After my purchase this past Dec. of a SHPE 1500 Salt Dogg,I would say not to go there for starters.Since they went Chinese on us,way too many problems.From talking here,on other sites,and others by me,I wish I would have gone to Down Easter's new poly unit with the 2 separate electric motors.You will pay a little more but Down Easter is a top quality co.That new unit of theirs just looks so much better in every regard to other similiar ones.

3. bossdude

bossdude Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. My local Truck Equip. Dist. also recomends DownEaster. Atlhough he suggested the Stainless with a 10.5 Briggs. He sells Fisher and Meyer as well, but says DownEaster is best.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Get a SS unit with an electric motor.

5. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Why the electric motor? I have never owned an electric unit before. Always had gas engines, last one 12 years trouble free.?

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You have no idea after 9 years with a B+S gas engine how happy I am with going all electric now,this even with all the problems I'm having with my SD.In a few years I think gas engines on sanders will be extinct.Last year,the last ice event of the season my B+S threw a rod through the block.I had to get my buddy's Downeaster SS electric to do my largest account.He was broadcasting Magic salt further than my Torwell ever did and his only has 1 motor for both conveyor and spinner.

7. Kubota 8540

I hear all these horror stories of gas engine spreaders. I must of had the only one with a gas engine that worked and performed flawlessly for 12 years. The most I put through it in 1 season was 125 ton? Replaced the spark plug twice, original clutch and bearings. Replaced spinner bearings once. Stored inside always. Briggs and Stratton I/C with float feed carb, Gas Engine and chain drive for me. I must of bought the only one that was made on a Tuesday. But if you talk Tecumseh, you couldn't give it to me.

8. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I hear ya' on the Briggs motor. We have a 6 y/o Diamond/Meyer (Swenson) Lo-Profile spreader w/ the 10.5 Briggs I/C. Only replace plugs, change oil every year for the most part. Had to replace the fuel line this year. The battery only normally lasts a couple years, but I yank it and run the same battery on one of my mowers in the summer.

BTW why would a truck rust out in 2 years from having a spreader? If you have a bedliner and wash the thing once in a while it should be no worse for wear really. Your already driving around in the salty slop in the winter and most of the salt is BEHIND you if you are spreading it!:)

9. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I too have had a gas v-box. Highway, 8.5 briggs. Almost flawless performance for 12 years. Then I went from flatbed 1 ton to F250, with dump insert. I don't miss putting that v-box on and off the pickup. The electric Truckcraft tailgate replacement unit is on it's first year, but I am very pleased with it.

10. bossdude

bossdude Junior Member

Thanks for the help, I'm def. leaning toward electric.

11. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

I have a Meyer sander with a Honda motor and after watching 2 friends that have Downester's with electric motors, my next sander will be one with an electric motor. My honda doesn't like to start in the cold. Just make sure you have dual batteries in the truck if you go that route.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Close. SS with two motors:D

13. cretebaby

Mine had always been trouble free up until this year, now I would like to divorce it.

Yes, better yet. :drinkup:

14. Kubota 8540

15. cretebaby

4 .......................

16. Kubota 8540

See, should went with a gas unit! :D