1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sander trouble.. please help...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JDsnowremoval, Nov 22, 2005.

1. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

Hey guys was working on one of the sanders today to get in ready and ran into some trouble... i went to go engage the actual auger and nothing.. i could hear it engage but it wassent spinning then smoke was comming from the belt.. obvisly the sander must be jammed some how .. it is empty right now and i power washed it but idk what else to do i tried to lube it up but no luck .. any suggestions .. thanks guys and have a good Turkey Day

2. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

is this a vbox, if so sounds like the drag chain is rusted try moving the chain with a pry bar. don't get wild on it. but look to see if something is keepint it from moving

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Can you lube the fittings in the pillow blocks to get things turning?

4. I would say your conveyor chain is rusted enough at the joints to prohibit it from spinning. I noticed mine in time and had the chain taken off and sandblasted. I would assume you could soak it with penetrating oil and try hitting the joints moderately to knock off any rust. Other than that good luck, get a case of beer, it will help:drinkup:

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yep, chain is probably rusted. Try turning the spinner by hand. Try the other suggestions, like using a pry bar to make sure it's loose. Lube everything you can see. Use penetrating oil anywhere two parts join. Try turning the sprockets by hand to see that they're loose. Then, try engaging the chain for very short periods to work it free (resist the temptation to have a second person try "helping" the chain along at the same time). Also, make sure nothing is clogging the chain at any point (like sand/salt/dirt).

Then, next year, plan to run it every other month or so, so this doesn't happen again.

6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I would agree. Soak the cr@p out of the chain and grease all your fittings. You may want to try and get a good size pipe wrench and turn the spiiner chaft by hand to free it up. Once you get past that point make sure you soak the links well to free it up and run it. :cool:

7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I am only guessing, but from the smoking belt comment I am guessing this is a tailgate unit. Sounds like the spinner shaft rusted up from lack of grease or sitting out all summer. We had an older Snow-Ex that did this.

8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Just had a v-box froze up from sitting, one of the little chains was froze. Also had an apron bearing on its way out that wasn't helping.