1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sander Throttle Inquiry

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SLSNursery, Dec 11, 2005.

1. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a question about the integrity and wiring of those electric throttle modules for the gas engines. We have 2 newer Fishers, and a DownEaster - 2 Tecumseh and 1 Briggs. The modules are identical, and 2 seemed to have failed over the summer. One of the failed units is 3 years old, the other is 12-18 months old. I took the worst one (which was the newest) apart, and although it appeared sealed against moisture, the little tiny DC motor inside was rusted and seized. Naturally you can't fix this part, unless you fly to China and find the factory or if you are lucky enough to have an old time electronics shop in your area (one that would have electronic components like motors, resistors, etc.- NOT a Best Buy, etc.). My questions follow -

1. I would like some feedback on how long they last, so I know what to plan for and how many spares to keep on hand?

2. Does anyone else have a similar problem with relatively new equipment (that gets washed regularly)?

3. How does the wiring work, since I noticed that it is mounted with isolation type grommets, and it is plastic so the unit isn't grounded. This would be handy information during a late night or roadside crisis, in order to bypass the cab controls. It seems like a resistor plays a part but I haven't had time to figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. SnowUnlimited

SnowUnlimited Junior Member

Have seen this problem many times before.You can get replacements from CPW.This part is about $100 a pop.I did it twice then decided to change things around.Or you can install manual choke and set throttle at steady speed.My buddy just installed an electric soloniod for his choke,wired it to cab control panel works well but he also sets constant rpm on his engine as I do mine.
    What I have done on all mine is to install remote starter button at sander engine compartment, manual choke next to starter button and set engine speed at about 1800 rpm.Found this to work the best for me.Yes it is nice to have all controls in cab but when they fail during storm it is real pain.I have to get out of the truck and into loader to load salt so I just stop and start sander.
  3. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Thank you for the input. That is like going backwards for us. We upgraded from some older units that required a lot of interaction. Surely the manual throttle worked, but it is inefficient, and I guess I'm just disappointed with technology. We used to run a huge Swenson with a Wisconsin engine, and that thing basically needed a mechanic on standby just to get it going. We had another smaller unit that had manual controls and a centrifugal clutch. These are all items from the past that seemed to work at the time.

I remember when each truck had an 'Armstrong' sander. 8 bucks an hour, but they seemed to used a lot of sand and it had a funny sort of spread pattern, especially towards the end of the storm.

Hopefully I'll get some more feedback.