1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sander spreading ?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by vmj, Jan 10, 2014.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I have a SS procaster, wondering what setting you guys open chute door when spreading sand/salt mix? Do u run motor at full or half throttle? I spread my sand/salt to where I can see it on surface even,but don't seam to be getting any action from it... Its a new pile of mix.. If I put down real heavy it melts,but then im using a lot of product for on lot....

2. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

guess every one is running the poly sanders...

3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I open the gate about an inch. Most times at 1/2 throttle. Probally to cold for the sand salt to kick. Last cold storm took forever to see black tar without straight salt.

4. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Yes it was cold and the other lots that were bare were done with straight salt... this past storm was not as cold and it just wasn't cutting in then either... I did add some salt to pile. How many lots are u getting done per hopper? I know lot size matters, mine are all pretty small with one or two pass throughs a clip.. Just seams like im using a lot of material... A friend is doing 10 lots and still having material left in hopper. He is running straight salt though...

5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I only do a couple of small lots. The rest is roads. I can do the lots with less than 1/2 yard. Ones a gas station and the other is a small medical building. The roads get mostly straight salt. I do them just above idle. One swipe up the middle. Adding more salt will help. One supplier that I tried a couple of storms ago didnt do squat. Hes a new guy in my area. Thought I would try him out because he was closer but I think he mixes it too lean. So it was back to my original supplier.

6. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

That's what im thinking about my pile.... I just bought it and I can see the salt in it but guessing its to lean.. Im only getting 4-5 places out of a hopper. Im not beaching these lots, ust applying it to where I can see the spread.... My gate is at 1in some times im at almost full throttle.. this has been driving me nuts!!

7. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

With straight salt I keep the chute between 1&2, and about half throttle, except when doing access roads, I idle it down and use the blast button. Remember when the temperature drops you may have to open it more, and I understand none of us wanna over use our salt