1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sander size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by boba, Dec 17, 2000.

1. boba

boba Senior Member

I'm looking at a 2001 Ford F550 4x4 PSD. Would put a fisher 9.5 ezv for a plow. What size sander would be good w/o overloading the truck??

Thanks

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

3 Yarder no problem.

Or go with an under the tailgate spreader for a dump body. You need a central hydro system for this type, however you can go from sander to dump truck real quick. Infact because you don't have the extra weight of a 900 to 1000 lbs V-box on the truck you could carry 4 yards of sand or salt or whatever. So if you have a 3 to 4 yard dump body with an under the tailgate spreader you can carry 3-4 yards of material.

BTW the 9.5' fisher v-plow is great.

Geoff

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

A friend of mine has an F550 with a 2 yd V-box and it handles it like its not even there,he even built sides for it to get about 2 3/4 yds in there,still doesnt even know its there.Very heavy duty axle and suspension on that 550.

4. boba

boba Senior Member

Geoff,

I have never seen a dump tailgate spreader in use in my area. Do you have to use it with the dump body up? Who makes a good one? Cost comparision to 3yd v box?

Thanks.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Bob if you are specking a new truck look into the in body spreaders. Airflow and henderson both make nice units.
    Dino

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The A 3 Yard v-box will run you like 3 to 4K

An under the tailgate spreader cost 1800 to 2000. However you need to add a central hydro system to the truck, which will cost another 1200 to 2000.

So the cost is about equal. I am not sure but I belive a sander built into the dump body will cost more than an Under the tailgate or v-box spreader.

Yes you have to raise the body to spread sand but you can still lower it and spread a little to get under low clearance things. Only with the standard 9' dump body the height isn't that bad.

Geoff