1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sander Rubber Flap

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by ksland, Dec 4, 2005.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I tapped holes right into the back panel on my dump insert, put stainless hardware to hold it on. This should keep sand/salt from the bumper area. Thanks Echovalley for the idea.

truckflap.jpg

2. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

heres the setup i came up with. kinda dark you can't really tell where it stops and the gap is but there is one. 30" conveyor belt. like 3/4 thick cut down to20" to fit.

IM000565.jpg

3. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Quite Crafty

Seems that this site is full of really clever/krafty guys. I own a Chevy 1T and have a similiar problem. Am going to see if this application will work for me

thanks
    kingriver:cool:

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Do you guys have any idea's for tailgate spreaders as well. My spreader throws more salt at the truck than the ground. Pictures would be great.

Thanks in advance

5. lorentzlawnsnow

eyesell i'm switching the truck in the picture over to a tailgate sander this week. i'll post pics of what i come up with when i get it on there.

6. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Great jobs, guys! These poor plowtrucks get blasted by rust enough without additional salt thrown directly on it!

Now if I can just find me a spreader :cry: :(

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

thanks, i'll be waiting to see it.

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a SnowEx 1075 and i'm gonna mount a piece of steel across the bottom of the mount and then bolt on a truck tailgate rubber flap. It should be about 4 foot wide by the time i'm done.

9. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Mount the flaps to the sander intead of the truck, it makes it easier when removing the sander between storms etc...

sander.jpg

10. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

BigDog..... Looks like you could use a wider flap, there is sand all over your lights, bumper etc.... What exactly is that flap doing?

11. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

It stops the material from getting onto the fuel tank and the wiring etc... all the real important and pain in the a$$ stuff to fix and the PITA stuff to clean out. It allows the taillights and lic. plate to be seen and they aren't really affected by the salt anyway!

The cops around here don't take to kindly to the stop,tail, turns and the plate being covered up.

12. lorentzlawnsnow

bigdog you could always go behind your framing for your tail lights and mount a 3rd mudflap to cover the gap between the two regular mudflaps if you were going to do it that way. then it would always be there for protection. and never in your way.

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Here's what I did for mine, works perfect.

Spreader sheild.jpg

14. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

What is that made of? Did you paint it red?

15. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

It's galvanized sheet metal, just cut it out to fit. It works great, I've salted several times and it keeps all the salt completely off the back of the truck and bumper. Yeah I painted it red, but it's almost gone from the salt hitting it, but hey, at least it won't rust being galvanized :p

16. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Here's an overview shot

BIG OVERVIEW.jpg

17. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

Eyesell - sweet setup !! ... love the truck ..... some how red is always a eye catcher ....

18. xeonpro

xeonpro Member

I have a sno-way 8' on my 1ton p/u...was thinking of having one of the welding shops around here make a device that goes into the trailer hitch and has a 4' bar that goes the width of the truck and mount a conveyr belt to it...ill post pictures when i complete it

19. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

I guess this is kindof related to the v box spreaders. I saw one today that had the rubber flap attatched to the bottom to keep the sand and salt from being thrown back up under the truck, but then I looked at the top side of the box and saw a 8' long piece of rubber attatched to the top rail of the box and then it overlaped the edge of the bed a couple inches. It looked like it would work very well to keep the overspill out of the bed when the v box is loaded.

I had never seen anyone with theirs set up like this on the top yet.

20. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I see that a lot, but usually made out of plywood.

The thing is, the area under the track collects sand/salt no matter what.

So it is kind of a waste of time. You still have to shovel the stuff out after you remove the vbox. The extra spilled in the bed just might be the difference to you finishing an account, keep a shovel handy! Been there done that.