1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sander rebuild, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Detroitdan, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I got an old 2 yard Flink (or maybe it's Frink) sander for next to nothing, looks rough but I thought that I could try to fix it up. The wiring is unhooked and I think the clutch mechanism is bad, motor isnt running, I didn't even want to try it because it looks bad. What I thought I'd try is to swap the engine with a good 11 horse lawnmower B&S motor I've got sitting around. Does this seem feasible? I don't know an awful lot about small engines but I don't think it looks too difficult. I can probably find someone local to help me get the connections and the clutch right, once I have the motor mounted up. But the chain is kind of rusty looking, how can I tell if it's still good before I invest anything into getting it running? I know that the steel is going to be rusty from use and sitting anyway, really can't tell if the strength is still there. I don't want to spend much if the money would be better spent toward something newer. I appreciate any suggestions or input from you guys.
    Dan

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Parts for the salters are not cheap. When you say the chain is rusty do you mean the drag chain inside the V box or the chain on the bottom of the moter? The chain on the motor is cheap and I would just replace the old one. You have to hope that the clutch is not rusted closed.

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

The biggest thing you need to look at and consider is to look at the output shaft on the motor and see if there is a gear reducer. If there is you can't just pop any old motor on there.

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I was talking about the conveyer chain in the box, its all scaly and rusty, but I cant imagine one not being rusty. I will look at the output shaft. I really would rather have a tailgate sander, just for ease of storing and installing it. But they are big bucks. I've seen some nice looking smaller V boxes with plastic boxes that looked nice. Since I've never had one before I dont know how much I'll be able to get this winter, hate to fix it and haul it around to sand one driveway.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have never had to replace one of our drag chins before. We have had to cut out links because they have stretched and there was no room left on the tensioner.