1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sander on a '98 F150?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CTPlow, Mar 18, 2005.

1. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

I also meant to ask if you can put a sander on a 6 1/2' F150?
    Not the tailgate ones, the ones that go in the truck bed. I think you have to have an 8' bed for these?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

"the ones that go in the truck bed" are called a Vbox. An 8' Vbox will weigh approx 900lbs. The sand or salt will weigh approx 1500 per yard. An 8' Vbox will hold 1.8 to 2 yards so the material will weigh approx 3,000 lbs. Total weight in your bed of a 1/2 pickup would be approx 3,900 or 2 tons.

I think you might have a problem.

The smallest recommended for any sander/salter is a 3/4 ton if you use a tailgate model that holds about 1/3 yard. There are some smaller Vboxes (6 or 4 foot models) that hold less material. But you still need to figure how much total weight you're putting in your f150.

I have seen a HD SRW 3/4 ton with a Vbox, but he was severely overloaded.
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Many full box sanders overload 3/4 ton trucks when filled to capacity. the empty box sander weight is normally around 650lbs. Short answer- no, bad idea.