1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sander Maintanence Question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PPP, Feb 15, 2008.

1. PPP

PPP Member

I'm going to be adding sanding next year. I want to get a 1.8 sander. I've been looking around for a used one, but all that I've been able to find in my area are Fisher and Curtis models. There are also some names I've never heard of. I've seen that when they say rust that means it's full of rot and been patched to many times. I want to spend around 2k for a used one. I have seen some stainless ones, but they are around 4k used. Is it really worth the price for the stainless? Wouldn't regular washing of a steel one make it last with painting it once yearly? Almost everyone I've looked at needs a new conveyer chain at a cost of $300-500. How long/material passes through the sander before replacement? I realize it's like a cutting edge wearing out based on useage. So in a nut shell what should I be looking for in problem areas on a used sander?

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

You should be able to buy a new Stainless for around 5 bills and a painted one for 3-4. Get a stainless or plan on spending more time than its worth cleaning and painting. You wont be able to stop rust forever. As far as the conveyor chain I have never replaced a chain in 5 years. I run two stainless 8 ft. Snoway electric models.

3. PPP

PPP Member

Thanks,
    I thought as much it would be worth buying new. How do you like the electric? I am unsure about picking up an electric sander. What kind of midifications do you have to do to the charging system of a typical truck? I assume you'd have to run two batteries.

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

One truck has two batteries but the other has only one.They do not take that much juice and I have never had a problem with either one. I will never buy anything else. Trust me in saying that if you cant get a hydraulic sander these are the ticket. You can install them on your standard electrical system. No mods.

5. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Sander Needed

I have a reasonably priced Hi-Way for sale. Go to Craigslist.com , then Boston, then search for sander. You will find the ad. Hi-Way P-8 new price. Contact me through the ad.