1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sander lift?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 94chevy2500, Mar 15, 2011.

1. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

ok im thinking about makeing something to lift my 2 yard sander in and out of my truck. ive been storing it at the truck shop i use to work for but i want it at my place now so i can work on it whenever and its not 30 minutes away. anyone ever built something to do this if so i would love to see some pics and what u use to lift it thanks so much guys

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

loader
    a chain hoist in a tree will work
    wooden stand that the sander sits on as you pull the truck out from under it

3. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

what i was thinking was a frame i could back under with a pully wheelein the center and something that could lift it then i drive out from under it and i place it right where i took it off on a stand just trying to think of what i could use to lift it and if 6x6 wooden beam would hold a 2 yard torwell stainless sander

4. Dakota Dave

Dakota Dave Member

Camper jacks should lift it assuming it empty. make a cross over to attach on each end than attach the jacks.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

They make those - lot of places make them-
    Here's the gantry (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356724_200356724) and a clamp (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200342873_200342873) or use a trolley which can move along the beam.
    Northern has several models, from 1 ton up to 4 ton model, but unless you plan on lifting the salter loaded, 1 ton should be enough.
    I was looking at options years ago when I had my sander - I built massive saw horse stands (2x6) and we used a loader to install/remove, but that necessitated storing it at a friends place, who had the loader.
    PITA - stands worked well, but the only safe way to load/unload was overhead.

I like the camper jack idea, but we couldn't figure out a way to get them adapted to clear the truck sides and still hold the weight since the spreader is not wider than the truck as a camper insert is.

6. pancakes55

pancakes55 Junior Member
    from US

Live and let die...what did you end up doing? I am thinking about the camper jacks idea. 2yd western sander. Apprx 8-900 lbs.
    Thanks